Volunteer Purpose and Impact
This volunteer will assist within the Women’s Empowerment Program to provide ongoing services for refugee men and women. The main focus is instructing a small class of refugee clients on the basic usage of a computer. This volunteer will follow a curriculum to guide the students through using a mouse, typing, using the internet, building a resume, preparing for the citizenship test, and more.
Responsibilities and Key Deliverables
· Act as the lead computer teacher in a small group and 1-on-1 setting
· Personalize the class for each student based on their needs and goals
· Assist in providing a safe, clean, and caring environment
· May assist with other programs within Women’s Empowerment as necessary
· Dedicated volunteer interested in learning about Women’s Empowerment programming
· Strong communication skills
· Ability to work with people from different cultures who have limited English skills
· Flexible and patient in the midst of stressful situations
· Additional fluency in the following languages preferred but not required:
o Arabic, Dari, Farsi, French, Spanish, Swahili, other refugee languages
Volunteer will work out of the on-site computer classroom. Will have access to phone as needed.
Clearances Required & Training
Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card required (cost of $65, valid for 6 years). Central Registry clearance required (free).
Location & Timeframe
Start date and end date negotiable, with a minimum 3 month commitment. Expected schedule: one day per week for a 4 hour shift.
Volunteers are needed at the Refugee & Immigration Services office located at 3443 N. Central Ave, North Rotunda, Phoenix, AZ 85012.
If you are interested in this role please fill out our online application so that a staff member can give you a call with more details, answer any questions you have, and make sure it is a good fit for you: http://bttr.im/vhj24