Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Hand Up Food Pantry believes in helping clients reach self-sufficiency by providing a 'hand up’ not just a hand out to clients experiencing food-insecurity. They accomplish this by connecting clients to resources in addition to providing emergency food relief to 800 families each month at distributions through San Diego County. In the past year, the Hand Up Food Pantry has provided 8,969 clients with 310,000 meals.
Goal of Position:
The Food Drive Volunteer helps the food pantry keep its shelves stocked and food bags full through-out the year. Though food can be purchased at low prices from food banks, the pantry still depends on donations from community members to keep its operations running and to give a wider variety of food choices to clients.
Food drives can be held door-to-door in a community of your choice, or at a centralized location (for which barrels can be provided). Gleaning events, where produce is "gleaned" from local trees and gardens and donated to the food pantry, can also be held. Flyers and other materials can be provided by Jewish Family Service.
Benefit in knowing that your time and talent are making a significant impact in the lives of clients
- Hold a door-to-door/community food drive on your own time in a community of your choice
- Advertise food drive in your community
- Collect donated food and deliver it to JFS Campus (food can also be collected by JFS staff if special transportation is needed)
Ability to work with people in various communities and speak about food insecurity in your region
- Must be able to lift bins and boxes up to 25 pounds
At least eight hours of service, based on your schedule and availability.
Jewish Family Service * Turk Family Center * 8804 Balboa Avenue * San Diego, CA * 92123
Hand Up Food Pantry Distribution Specialist
- Food Delivery / Distribution
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Food Drive Assistant
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Food Drive Volunteer
- Hillcrest Distribution Volunteer
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Workshop Facilitator
- Data Entry Specialist-Community...
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Bingo Caller
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Cozy Cafe-rista
- Receptionist Assistant
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant
- Data Entry Specialist - Helping...