Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Employment & Career Services (ECS) program at JFS is a program that was established to provide support to community members affected with job loss. Over the course of two weeks, ECS offers a four-day job preparation course and Career Kick-Start, which provides job seekers with the essential skills needed to find employment. Career Kick-Start course teaches resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, social media, and personal branding. Participants of Career Kick-Start are eligible to receive one-on-one Job Coaching with a professional expert. Volunteers are essential to this program by helping instruct Career Kick-Start classes, providing Job Coaching and leading other job-related workshops. Volunteers may choose to only lead workshops, to work one-on-one with clients, or do both.
Goal of Position:
Provide 1:1 job search assistance to graduates of ECS Career Kick-Start. Job Coaches will utilize their professional background and skills to provide constructive instruction, accountability, mentorship, and helpful resources to individuals who are seeking employment or a career change. Job Coaches will assist job seekers with their professional skills and confidence that will lead them to success.
Lead workshops on employment-related topics such as resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, social media, and personal branding, networking, job searching for mature workers, and how tind gig work (temporary, short-term, side work, freelance work, etc.)
- Help unemployed or underemployed San Diegans become job ready
- Opportunity for Business & Human Resources Professionals/Career Specialists/Recruiters to give back to the community by using their professional skills
- Transforms someone's financial situation by helping them find a job
- Gain knowledge about the current job market and increase your own professional skills
- Ability to network among other professional volunteers and staff
- Meet one-on-one with job seekers for a total of 6 times in 6 weeks to work on goals established on their IEPs. First meeting takes place at JFS headquarters.
- Provide advice and guidance to help people make realistic choices about careers, employment and training
- Conduct mock interviews and discuss networking techniques and strategies
- Critique resumes and cover letters
- Communicate with ECS regarding changes to their availability
- Collaborate closely with JFS staff at least once a month to report progress
- Keep track of all volunteer hours and report to JFS staff upon request
- Seeking working, technical, and retired professionals to leverage their knowledge to assist employment seeking individuals
- Ideal for people who would like to conribute to the progress of a job seeker
- Professional background in Business, Human Resources, Career Counseling, Employment Services is a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of grammar, style and formats for resume writing
- Ability to describe accomplishments and skills in an effective manner
- Must be dedicated, reliable, patient, and compassionate
- Must enjoy helping people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work independently and experience with job seeking process
- Must be able to provide own transportation to the JFS Joan & Irwin Jacobs Campus
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Attend a JFS volunteer interview with JFS staff
- Agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy
Once a week, one-hour meetings, for a total of six weeks (For job coaching). For leading workshops, the time commitment is flexible and could be three hours a year or much more, depending on the volunteer’s availability and interest.
Jewish Family Service Joan & Irwin Jacobs Campus 8788 Balboa Avenue San Diego, CA 92123 & other locations agreed by volunteer and client.
ECS Employment Specialist
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Group Facilitation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Food Drive Assistant
- Volunteer ESL Instructor
- Development Administrative...
- Food Drive Volunteer
- St. Paul's Distribution Volunteer
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Workshop Facilitator
- Data Entry Specialist-Community...
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Bingo Caller
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Military Distribution Lead
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Cozy Cafe-rista
- Receptionist Assistant
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Facilities Assitant