Male mentors! Mentor a refugee boy
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where4419 N Ravenswood AveChicago, IL 60640
Meet regularly and build a relationship with a newly arrived refugee boy (6-18). Assist with homework, learning English, adapting to the US, and growing up into a healthy young adult! Since our youth ae in school, sessions are typically in the evenings or on weekends. Most of our mentees live in the neighborhoods of West Ridge, Rodgers Park, or Edgewater. Mentors typically meet at the mentee's house, and sometimes take trips for recreational or educational activities.
Time commitment and requirements:
- Must commit to mentoring for at least one full year (which starts when you are matched with your mentee.
- Must meet with your mentee at least twice a month for at least two hours each (4 hours a month) and communicate mentoring activities with Heartland staff.
- Complete fingerprinting for an Illinois State Police and FBI background checks. The cost for this is roughly $65 and must be covered by the mentor.
- Be screened through the National Sex Offenders Public Website and the Illinois Child Abuse & Neglect Tracking System.
- Complete an online training on recognizing and reporting child abuse.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours a month for 1 full year
- Background check, DCFS mandated reporter training, attend new volunteer orientation