GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Volunteer Program Manager manages volunteer resources to assist in the execution of GeekGirlCon’s events and services. This includes directly managing volunteers, and providing guidance, support, and resources to staff who supervise volunteers.
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the volunteer program which reflect the GeekGirlCon mission.
- Work with Director of Operations to set annual departmental sub-budget.
- Develop, administer, and review policies and procedures which guide the volunteer program.
- Create and implement a volunteer recruitment program including application process and screening procedures.
- Review all volunteer applications, onboard accepted volunteers.
- Train staff to work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers.
- Ensure that volunteers are given appropriate training and necessary tools to succeed in their position.
- Respond appropriately to any complaints or concerns regarding volunteers. This includes performance, absenteeism, and harassment.
- Create volunteer schedule. Coordinate with other departments to ensure their volunteer needs are met during convention.
- Develop a recognition program to reward volunteers for their service.
- Establish and implement an annual process for evaluating the contributions of volunteers.
- Oversee the management of the volunteer forums and social media accounts, including Basecamp and Twitter.
- Oversee the Volunteer Team Coordinators in their duties.
- Previous experience managing a volunteer team.
- Knowledge of Google Office Suite including Gmail, Drive, and Groups.
- Database management experience.
- Knowledge of current trends, resources, and information related to volunteering.
- Ability to create and follow strict deadlines.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work with little to no oversight.
- Proficiency with Basecamp or other project management tools.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-7 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!
- Problem Solving
- Event Planning / Management
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 10-15 hours per week, increases during Convention
- In-person attendance at monthly staff mtgs; Volunteering at Con 10/26-10/28, 2018