Purpose:To provide legal accompaniment to clients and/or family members of domestic violence, sexual assault or child abuse victims.
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Completion of 15 hours of Volunteer Training Program.
- Completion of shadowing of Legal Advocate.
- Ability to remain non-judgmental and non-directive.
- Advocacy skills for victims in crisis.
- Signing and adhering to confidentiality pledge.
- Access to reliable transportation and phone service.
- Adherence to the philosophy, goals and policies of Safe Passage.
- National child abuse and criminal clearances.
- Attend DV court in service area jurisdictions.
- Assist clients with completing court documents, specifically Orders of Protection from Abuse.
- Provide crisis intervention through the 24-hour crisis hotline, individual and group psycho-education.
- Provide outreach support and awareness in Lancaster and Chester counties.
- Conduct intakes and make referrals to adults and youth victims and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.
- Attend quarterly meetings of volunteer staff.
- Contact supervisor regarding mandated reports of child abuse or suicide attempts.
- Receive working knowledge of services provided to victims and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse at Safe Passage.
- Gain experience with legal processes for DV and SA.
- Learn requirements for Order of Protection and Restraining Order.
- Develop familiarity with responsibilities of victim service providers.
- Network with community partners and government personnel.
- Work to create a culture of change pertaining to violence against adults and children.
Time Commitment: Minimum 5 hours per month or two court appearances.
Availability: Anytime Monday through Friday between 9 am and 5 pm. Courtney will contact you for court hearing times/dates. Please indicate which county you want to go to (York, Lancaster, or Rock Hill).
- Crisis Intervention
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training