The Homeless Garden Project (HGP) is a 26-year-old nonprofit organization based in Santa Cruz, California, dedicated to bringing people together from throughout the community in meaningful activities, teaching principles and practices of environmental, personal and economic sustainability, and providing work experience and wages for those who are experiencing homelessness.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and hard-working intern who will work closely with the Development Director in the ongoing work of a small development office. The intern will gain substantial hands-on experience and specific training in many aspects of nonprofit development. This internship position will provide an ideal experience for someone interested in making a big impact in a growing organization that works at the nexus of community building, education and human services. Due to the small and collaborative nature of the Homeless Garden Project’s staff, this position offers a valuable learning experience that more compartmentalized internships in large organizations cannot offer.
- Learning and assisting with donor database maintenance, including accurately tracking donations and preparing donor acknowledgements.
- Supporting staff with logistics associated with special events, including assisting with creation of invitation list, event logistics, soliciting sponsors, etc.
- Assisting Development Director with grant application research, writing and tracking
- Providing logistic and clerical support for donor cultivation, including: preparing mailings, designing invitations, working with outside vendors, maintaining database, coordinating event logistics
- Assisting staff in administrative tasks, including stuffing envelopes, file cleaning, etc.
- Assisting with securing in-kind contributions of goods and services
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented individual
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Dependability, flexibility and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office
- Superb communication skills, both written and verbal
- Interest in nonprofit development/fundraising and special event planning
- Ability to work independently and with others, including staff, volunteers, donors and vendors
- A demonstrated commitment to HGP’s mission and values
- Excellent ethical standards and personal integrity
- Previous internship or related experience in marketing or communications is a plus
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferred
Intern Will Gain:
- Diverse skills and hands-on experience in nonprofit development for a growing nonprofit organization
- Experience supporting Homeless Garden Project donor cultivation and special events
- Experience working with donor database software
- Opportunities to contribute creative insights or feedback regarding potential development strategies
- Opportunities to interact with professionals in both nonprofit and for-profit sector
Work Schedule/Time Commitment
10-20 hours per week
Minimum 3 month commitment, with possibility to extend
Start Date: February/March
This is a volunteer unpaid internship. We encourage you to use this internship to gain course credit or seek out grants with your college, if that is an option. Please include this information in your cover letter.
Application Procedure and Deadlines
Send your resume and a cover letter to Keren Reichler at kerenR@homelessgardenproject.org . Applications accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
The Homeless Garden Project is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, transgender and gender-nonconforming people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, and people living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Data Entry
- Donor Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 10-20 hours per week (flexible)