Responsible To: Education Coordinator
Task Description: Work as part of our Interactive Exhibits team to teach science concepts using handson
demonstrations and methods of inquiry. Exhibits in our Atrium, roboworld, SeaScape, and Exploration
Station exhibit galleries present opportunities for Science Center guests learn about physical science,
technology, and life science. Learn techniques for working with children and animals. Interns will provide
exceptional customer service to our visitors and give them a great experience in our exhibit galleries.
Understand the science concepts behind our exhibits, demonstrations, and animals, and employ
observation and inquiry-based education to teach guests science concepts
Perform scripted floor demonstrations for guests
Communicate with technician staff to ensure quick repair of broken exhibits and robots
Handle and present live animals for touching and observation
Provide exceptional customer service
Complete a project (to be decided by the intern and supervisor)
Maintain a journal record of the internship experience
Ability to interact positively with staff and guests of all ages
Basic computer literacy, including word-processing and e-mail
Sensitivity toward children and animals
Ability to do independent research with materials provided, including the internet
Excellent customer service
Skills to be Learned:
Open-ended inquiry techniques
Developing age-appropriate scientific demonstrations/programs
Techniques for interacting with children.
Intern will attend training sessions as required
Intern will not administer first aid
Shadowing experienced presenters on the job
Presenting programs as part of a team
One-on-one meetings with supervisor
Independent reading/research of science topics
120 hours, Minimum of 8 hours per week
TO APPLY: Send a letter of reference from an academic advisor, letter of interest, and a resume BY APRIL 1, 2018, to:
Carnegie Science Center
One Allegheny Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
- OR -
- Exhibition Arts
- Group Facilitation
- Environmental Education
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 120 hours a semester/8 hrs a week
- Fab Lab Educational Internship...
- SciTech Days at Carnegie Science...
- Interactive Exhibits Intern...
- Volunteer Engagement and Special...
- Presenter, Science Theaters -...
- Group Experience Internship...
- BodyStage - Anatomy/Biology...
- Fab Lab Technical Intern...
- Marketing Internship (Unpaid) -...
- Education Intern, Science...
- Miniature Railroad & Village...
- Engineer the Future 2018
- Animal and Habitat Internship...
- Classes & Sleepovers Education...
- 79th Covestro Pittsburgh...
- BodyStage - Nutrition Internship...
- XPLOR Store Internship (Unpaid)...