Responsible To: Fab Lab Managers
Task Description: The Fab Lab Educational Intern will work with the Fab Lab Technical and Education Manager at the Carnegie Science Center. The intern will assist Fab Lab staff in teaching patrons during workshops and open lab time. The intern will also demonstrate the equipment for tours and open houses. The intern will assist the Fab Lab staff in developing curriculum and demonstrations for children, adults, and family programming.
* Researching and developing a project (to be determined by intern and supervisor).
* Interacting with the public.
* Operation of Fab Lab machinery including: 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC mills, vinyl cutters, and
* Assist with developing and teaching workshops.
* Able to follow explicit directions.
* Ability to communicate step-by-step instruction in an engaging manner.
* Reliable, punctual, and detail-oriented.
* Able to prioritize and multi-task.
* Willingness to learn new information and tasks associated with it.
* Sense of humor, fun, enthusiastic, and energetic.
* Ability to do independent research.
* Comfortable with using and explaining technology including computer programs.
* Genuine personal interest in the maker movement and education.
Skills to be Learned:
* Learn how to communicate scientific and technical information to a variety of age groups.
* Curriculum and program development.
* Proficiency with Fab Lab equipment.
* Learn how a Fab Lab operates.
* Intern will not administer first aid.
* Intern will attend training sessions as required.
* On the job training in interactive demonstrations, and customer service.
* Job shadowing.
* Weekly meetings with Coordinator.
* 120 hours minimum during the semester
TO APPLY: Send a letter of intent, resume, a letter of reference from either an academic advisor or professor BY APRIL 1, 2018, to:
Carnegie Science Center
One Allegheny Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
- OR -
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 120 HOURS/SEMESTER
- Fab Lab Educational Internship...
- Interactive Exhibits Intern...
- Volunteer Engagement and Special...
- Presenter, Science Theaters -...
- Group Experience Internship...
- BodyStage - Anatomy/Biology...
- Fab Lab Technical Intern...
- Marketing Internship (Unpaid) -...
- Education Intern, Science...
- Miniature Railroad & Village...
- Animal and Habitat Internship...
- Classes & Sleepovers Education...
- BodyStage - Nutrition Internship...
- XPLOR Store Internship (Unpaid)...