Responsible To: Science Theaters Education Coordinator
Task Description: This internship provides the opportunity for students with various science interests to
demonstrate their excitement for science while developing various educational materials that enhance
Engage, entertain, and communicate science concepts to audiences of all ages
Learn and independently present formal theatric presentations
Perform demonstrations involving cooking, cryogenics, electricity, and fire
Demonstrate science literacy and accuracy of information
* Recording daily activities and observations in a journal record
Assist staff with prep and cleanup for each scheduled shows, which includes working with and
cleaning up chemistry experiments, wiping counters, resetting stools, and operating technical
equipment as permitted
Answer basic visitor questions about the building and the Science Theaters
Direct questions to other staff when needed
Responsible for all assigned training materials: Ex) safety procedures, call off procedures, visitor
interaction protocols, science content and scripts
Ability to interact positively with visitors and other staff
Willingness to learn new information; genuine interest in science
Sense of humor, fun, enthusiastic, and energetic
Excellent verbal skills; comfort with large audiences; actively seek participation
Ability to lift 50 lbs. and be comfortable with heights
Ability to follow explicit directions
Ability to do independent research with materials provided, including the internet
Reliability and punctuality
Ability to work with chemicals and common cleaning supplies
Skills to be Learned:
Hone communication skills.
Learn how to communicate scientific information to a variety of age groups
Not responsible for administering first aid
Will shadow and observe shows
Work closely with fully trained presenters and the Education Coordinator
Minimum of 8 hours per week
Regular weekly commitment required
TO APPLY: Send a letter of reference from an academic advisor, letter of interest, and a resume BY APRIL 1, 2018, to:
One Allegheny Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
- OR -
- Math / Science Instruction
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 120 HOURS A SEMESTER/8 HRS A WEEK
- Fab Lab Educational Internship...
- Interactive Exhibits Intern...
- Volunteer Engagement and Special...
- Presenter, Science Theaters -...
- Group Experience Internship...
- BodyStage - Anatomy/Biology...
- Carnegie Science Center...
- Fab Lab Technical Intern...
- Marketing Internship (Unpaid) -...
- Education Intern, Science...
- Miniature Railroad & Village...
- Animal and Habitat Internship...
- Classes & Sleepovers Education...
- BodyStage - Nutrition Internship...
- XPLOR Store Internship (Unpaid)...