Reporting to the Director of Children’s Programs, the Family Engagement VISTA:
- Conducts outreach to build partnerships focused on the two-generation approach
- Identifies needs and opportunities for parents/guardians to serve as volunteers
- Creates volunteer position descriptions and promotes volunteer opportunities to families
- Develops system(s) to track the parents/guardians who volunteer or attend family engagement events
- Engages with parents/guardians to determine topics and themes for Family Fun Nights and sessions of Be Your Child’s Best Advocate
- Provides hands-on support during events, including managing volunteers, meal servers, and partners
- Shares new skills, strategies, and research on family engagement practices with the Our House team
- Develops training plans and summaries to benefit future team members and conducts training, if appropriate
- Assesses current communication practices to build sustainable, relevant, engaging practices
- Produces high-quality communication stations and updates them frequently
- Lends support before, during, and after Speak Up Week to gather and analyze survey results
- Assists with Community Council relations
This is a full-time national service position that provides a living allowance of $12,277 over the course of one year, plus a $5,920 education award at the end of a successful one-year term of service. Health insurance is not available, but some health coverage to help with the cost of co-pays and other medical expenses is available to VISTA Members. Childcare assistance and relocation assistance are available to VISTA Members who qualify. Life insurance and 1 year of non-competitive eligibility for federal employment are also available. Some professional development training opportunities are offered and paid for by Our House. You are responsible for your own housing and other living expenses.Qualifications
The Family Engagement VISTA will be thoroughly committed to Our House’s mission and to national service. All candidates should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills.
- Strong people skills, with ability to form effective working relationships with a wide range of people.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to drive multiple simultaneous projects to completion.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to lift 35 pounds.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- A United States Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Available to begin serving on March 12, 2018 for a one-year term to end March 2019.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Priscilla Howard, VISTA Leader, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the words "Family Engagement VISTA" in the email subject line. This position must be filled by February 2, 2018. Priority will be given to applications completed by January 22, 2018.
Our House is a drug-free workplace.
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Customer Service
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Full time (40/week)