Speaker Content Coach
19 people are interested
Speaker Content Coach
About TEDx Seattle
TEDxSeattle is a self-sustaining, non-profit with a license from TED to independently organize a local TEDlike event. It’s a 100% volunteer-run organization. TEDxSeattle began in 2010 as TEDxRainier. Over the past seven years, the event has grown from a local audience of just 600 to more than 2,500 participants at our all-day conference held annually at McCaw Hall. In 2015, the organization absorbed a smaller event, TEDxSeattle, and took its name. Today, TEDxSeattle includes our annual November main-stage talks as well as other exciting events that take place around the city throughout the year including TEDxSeattle Salons and TEDxSeattle Adventures.
● One of the largest TEDx events in the country
● 130 local, national, and international speakers have been showcased over the years, including
some who have gone on to speak at TED Global conferences or be featured on the TED site
● Speaker and entertainment videos have garnered more than 15 million views online
● On the day of the event, more than 200 volunteers work to bring TEDxSeattle to the stage
● TEDxSeattle will be held in November 2019
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced speaker coach with curiosity, a passion for ideas, and excitement for creating an impact in the community. We want coaches who want to make a difference to our city, our state, the greater Pacific Northwest region and the world we live in.
About the Speaker Content Coach role
The Speaker Content Coach will work as a member of the greater Speaker Team, comprised of six to eight individuals. This is an essential role within the organization and requires a person who is forward-thinking, engaged with current affairs, tenacious, and able to commit to the work load. A background in speech writing or editing is ideal. The primary role of the Coach is to work directly with one to three speakers as a guide in shaping their talks and preparing the speaker to inhabit their written words.
The Speaker Team and its members work in four primary phases throughout the course of the year.
● seeking out relevant topics areas and potential speakers for the November event.
● work collaboratively to review submissions and curate a final lineup of speakers.
● act as the primary channel of feedback from the greater Speaker Team to their speakers.
● following up with their speakers post-event including reviewing video of the final talks.
The Speaker Team is at the heart of the TEDxSeattle event, consequently, this role is time intensive. There will be 90-minute to two-hour team meeting every week until just a few weeks before the November event. In addition, speaker coaches will work with each of their speakers one-on-one outside of team meetings. During the final stages, speaker coaches may also attend group feedback sessions and technical rehearsals. All speaker coaches are expected to attend the TEDx event.
If selected for the role, you can expect to be the primary coach for one to three speakers. Expect to commit 20-30 hours coaching on content and 10-20 hours of presentation coaching for each speaker, most of it from May thru September. The role lasts for just under a year and preference will go to candidates who are looking to make a longer commitment to help continue shaping the TEDx Seattle event for several years to come.
● Knowledge of TED and TEDx talks
● 3+ years of experience as a professional speechwriter, speaking coach, communications director, or
other relevant position
● Exceptional writing, editing and grammar skills
● Self-directed with an ability to collaborate and thrive in small team environment
● Able to meet deadlines and commitments
● Ability to meet weekly in-person or by phone
● Knowledge of Google Drive helpful
● Research topic areas and contact and interview experts and potential speaker candidates in the
● Evaluate speaker submission applications
● Work closely with other speaker team members to choose final speakers and entertainers
● Commit to working with one or more of the accepted speakers
o Evaluate and develop talk drafts through multiple iterations
o Provide biographical and vitae information to the Communications team
o Review and edit for accuracy bios, catalogue descriptions, online profiles and other
documents associated with your speakers
o Review the video of your speakers from the event and make suggestions
● Evaluate and comment on all speakers’ talk drafts and supporting documents
● Work closely with other TEDxSeattle teams, stakeholders, and vendors including, but not limited to,
Communications, Partnerships, Events, and the Production teams
● Attend and/or volunteer at events leading up to the TEDx talks
● Attend occasional longer strategy or working sessions as needed
● Represent the TEDxSeattle brand to the larger community with professionalism and enthusiasm
How to apply
To submit a formal inquiry for this role, submit a cover letter describing why you are well-qualified and
enthusiastic about the opportunity to email@example.com. If being considered, you can expect to have an in-person interview with the Co-Chairs of this committee for the next steps within a few weeks.
We'll work with your schedule.
Seattle areaSeattle, WA 98104
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Public Speaking
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Verbal / Written Communication