The nonprofit news organization WhoWhatWhy is looking for a volunteer to source and edit images. Non-corporate and non-partisan and commercial-free, we are powered entirely by public support and the passionate involvement of people who believe in our mission. As such, we do not have the budget to subscribe to stock image services. You will help curate photos for all stories by sourcing material from the public domain - a process can take from thirty minutes to four hours depending on the length of the article and availability of material.
A minimum commitment of 4 hours a week is recommended but not required. Because it usually takes two to four weeks before volunteers become fully functional and require less supervision, we prefer candidates who can commit long-term - at least a four months at a time.
Please follow the link below and send us your resume, cover letter and work samples (either links to work online or attachments). Make clear in your cover letter that you understand the fundamentally pro bono aspect of the position and are not mass-applying.
- Coordinate with editors and reporters to identify photography needs
- Curate photos and other images for front page stories and blogs
- Write corresponding captions and ensure proper attribution
- Adapt and create original images using sourced material from Creative Commons and the public domain
- 1+ years experience in Photoshop, Google Docs and Creative Commons
- Ability to work in a virtual team environment
- Proven skill in image search, editing and curation
- Some awareness of copyright issues
- We will provide extensive training on all specific tasks.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Content Management Systems
- Graphic Design / Print
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 30 min - 4 hours/week depending upon story Length
- 3 months minimum commitment
- JFK Assassination Records:...
- Get the Best out of Others:...
- Managing Editor at Media...
- Website User Experience Designer...
- Best Training Ever --...
- Marketing Campaign Strategist
- Salesforce Best Practices...
- JFK ASSASSINATION: RESEARCHER...
- Salesforce Account Manager
- Volunteer IT Manager Needed at...
- Wikipedia Department Manager -...
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO) -...
- Volunteer Assigning Editor
- Virtual Fundraising Manager
- Showrunner for News and...
- Historical Whodunit Book Project...
- Fundraising Development Manager
- Editorial Administrative Assistant
- Writer/Analyst Volunteers to...