Is equal rights to a quality education important to you?
Then join a new initiative with Seeds in the Middle to give every child a chance to learn the academic skills to gain entry into New York City's top high schools - starting as early as 3rd or 4th grade.
Given MLK Day of Service is coming up, based on response - we might launch this for Martin Luther King Day to honor his commitment to civil rights. Education is key.
Despite increasing funding and initiatives, the percentage of African-American and Latino students in NYC is far below their numbers in the NYC population. See the article here - showing in 2017 that only 10 percent of the seats offered went to minority students. https://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/ny/2017/03/08/only-10-percent-of-offers-at-new-york-citys-specialized-high-schools-went-to-black-and-hispanic-students/
Who are we?
- Seeds in the Middle has been working with students, faculties and parents and the community in central Brooklyn since 2010. We have seen the challenges and want to work closely with people who care to give children real chances to get the same access to top colleges as those in more affluent communities.
We think we have an innovative solution to helping students achieve so they can have an equal shot at these schools - including competitive schools like LaGuardia High School of Performing Arts or Midwood or Murrow or any other school recognized as top by the most competitive colleges.
That's you! Help us create a new pathway for students! Empower real change.
Volunteers are asked to commit at least two hours a week - probably weekends - for at least one month, but preferably for three months or years to work with a student on special skills. You must:
- sign that commitment
- when you finish your term, explain to the next tutor what you are working on with the student
- confer with our certified educators for guidance so you know exactly what they need to work on.
STUDENTS - WE CAN GIVE COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS FOR THIS.
May vary - it might be Brooklyn Central Library near Grand Army Plaza or a school in Brownsville, Flatbush or Crown Heights, Brooklyn or maybe right at Stuyvesant High School or one of the top high schools. If you have a location near a train, let us know.
Who are the students you will tutor?
Each student must write a letter or essay, saying why he or she wants to go to a top high school and signing, with a parent, their commitment to coming every week for as long as it takes. We are starting at 3rd or 4th grade, and offer this to students through 8th grade.
We hope to launch this on MLK weekend 2018 - so respond right away.
PS - We would like to ask every volunteer to donate $50 or anything to help support our efforts. If you just want to tutor and cannot give, that is okay. But this is an unfunded program, so we are asking for donations to pay the people who are creating and organizing these opportunities and to administer this. All donations are tax-deductible. If you are willing to fundraise at all - even a bake sale - for our efforts, we would truly appreciate. Our goal is $20,000 and we want to offer tutors to as many children who want it - can be 100 or more... you can see what we do at seedsinthemiddle.org and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/seedsinthemiddle/
What is our goal?
To get at least 20 students into any of these schools, maybe more. But our initial goal is to ensure at least 20 students get the education necessary to pass the specialized high school test or other tests to go to the school of their choice - who - WITHOUT YOU - would never get a chance to get in.
More info? Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Please write us and tell us:
- Who you are
- Days you are available
- What is your commitment - how many weeks at 2 x a week
- Where are you willing to travel? Will you go to Brownsville or central library?
- Why you want to do this?
- If you are a high school student, please offer, if you can, a school advisor to vouch for you
- Can you help us fundraise at all?
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must commit minimum 2 hours weekly for a month
- Must be reliable, honest, motivated, adventurous, dedicated, kids will count on you