Do you have a gift for retail? Do you love buying and selling unique merchandise, designing and arranging compelling ways to display beautiful items, and caring for people? Are you interested in a way to do all that AND impact the world for eternity?
If so, we’re looking for a special person to manage the gift shop here at JAARS - where our primary mission is to help make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth.
Our merchandise assortment ranges from handmade crafts, clothing and jewelry-much of it from overseas-to books, cards, videos and more. All are thoughtfully selected to provide guests and staff with mementos of the work here at JAARS and the mission of providing every person on earth with Scripture in the language they understand best-their heart language.
- For part-time volunteer or staff person who raises support
- Must be a US citizen or green card holder to apply
- Supervise daily operation of gift shop
- Determine and or approve merchandise for sale following JAARS branding guidelines
- Order merchandise, replenish inventories, and supervise/conduct annual inventory counts
- Formulate merchandise pricing based on target audiences and JAARS pricing model
- Monitor sales; resolve discrepancies, prepare, reconcile, and record cash receipts for deposit
- Verify invoices and billing, and resolve errors and discrepancies
- Supervise and train volunteer staff in operations and customer service.
- Plan and prepare staff work schedules
- Process web and mail orders
- Develop and manage annual goals and budget
- Develop appropriate internal and external promotion for unique merchandise
- Fill in for staff to cover breaks and shifts
- Ensure brochure rack is kept stocked with JAARS publications
- Explore and supervise retail sales growth via online sales
- Other duties as assigned dealing with staff and their partnership development
- This is a 20 hour a week position with some additional hours required at times.
- Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively
Education and Experience
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of or aptitude for cash management principles and/or procedures
- Retail experience desired
- Degree in business and/or management experience desired
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrable Christian faith and lifestyle
- Servant leader mindset - expertise/aptitude balanced with humility and influence
- Experience with and understanding of core mission-driven audiences - Christian individuals and organizations seeking to live out obedience to Christ’s work and calling on earth
- Hearty support for the vision and values JAARS is embracing for its future
- Self-discipline, courage, and creativity to apply limited human and financial resources by prayer to strategic challenges
JAARS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Christian ministry headquartered on a beautiful 500+ acre campus just south of Charlotte, NC. Our campus includes extensive training facilities, an airport, office and commercial facilities, guest housing, food services, recreational areas, health clinic, on-site childcare, and youth and family ministry support for staff and partners.
We are pleased to have more than five hundred people serving on our campus. We partner closely with SIL International, the organizations of the Wycliffe Global Alliance and other organizations locally and globally.
JAARS vision is that people’s lives and communities are transformed as they experience God’s Word in their own language.
JAARS mission is to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth. We do that by enabling locally appropriate and sustainable solutions in transportation, technology, media, and training.
JAARS Core Values
Together in Christ, we commit to:
- Seek God Above All
- Serve in Love
- Act with Integrity
- Steward God’s Resources with Courage
- Pursue Excellence
- Collaborate with Respect
- Create a Culture of Innovation
- Office Management
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Public Relations
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 20 hours per week, Long-term
- Kitchen Assistant
- Avionics Technician
- IT Project Manager
- IT Support Specialist
- Aviation Parts/Inventory Manager
- Aviation Mechanic
- Mission Team Assistant
- Software Developer - Language
- Partner Relations Representative
- Gift Shop Business Coordinator
- Special Events Coordinator
- Training Coordinator
- Mission Team Manager Assistant
- IT Test Engineer
- Type Designer
- Director of Technology and...
- 4WD and Motorcycle Instructor
- Engagement Project Coordinator
- Housekeeping General Duties Staff