A Flexible Opportunity for the Outdoorsy Type
8 people are interested
Do you love riding your bike, walking your dog or jogging along the trails in the Cook County Forest Preserves? Be a visible presence to help make our preserves welcoming and inviting to all visitors as you are out enjoying nature. All you have to do is report anything amiss to the Forest Preserve Police.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years old
- You must attend a brief volunteer training and pass a criminal background check
- Report anything concerning via phone to Forest Preserve Police
- We will provide you with your own neon volunteer t-shirt to wear when you are "on duty"
- Enjoy yourself and be courteous
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Forest Preserves of Cook County
6100 N Central Avenue, Chicago, IL 60646, US
"to acquire, restore and manage lands for the purpose of protecting and preserving public open space with its natural wonders, significant prairies, forests, wetlands, rivers, streams, and other landscapes with all of its associated wildlife, in a natural state for the education, pleasure and recreation of the public now and in the future."
The Forest Preserve District of Cook County, with more than 69,000-acres, is the largest forest preserve district in the United States. It receives an estimated 40 million visits each year, providing an escape into a world teeming with wildlife and rich with outdoor recreation and environmental education opportunities. Within its boundaries are rare habitats that offer plant and animal diversity on par with the rainforests of the world. This natural heritage offers something for everyone:
- Oak woodlands and savannas
- Tallgrass prairies
- Native wetlands
- Migratory fly-ways that afford spectacular birding
- 22 dedicated nature preserves
- 40 managed lakes and ponds
- 7 major waterways that can be canoed or kayaked and offer glimpses of waterflow and shorebirds
- 300 miles of marked trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding, and cross country skiing
- Scenic spots for painting, photography or quiet reflection
Cook County, ILChicago, IL 60646
- Outdoor Recreation
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Totally flexible, just 2 visits per month