Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
"to acquire, restore and manage lands for the purpose of protecting and preserving public open space with its natural wonders, significant prairies, forests, wetlands, rivers, streams, and other landscapes with all of its associated wildlife, in a natural state for the education, pleasure and recreation of the public now and in the future."
The Forest Preserve District of Cook County, with more than 69,000-acres, is the largest forest preserve district in the United States. It receives an estimated 40 million visits each year, providing an escape into a world teeming with wildlife and rich with outdoor recreation and environmental education opportunities. Within its boundaries are rare habitats that offer plant and animal diversity on par with the rainforests of the world. This natural heritage offers something for everyone:
- Oak woodlands and savannas
- Tallgrass prairies
- Native wetlands
- Migratory fly-ways that afford spectacular birding
- 22 dedicated nature preserves
- 40 managed lakes and ponds
- 7 major waterways that can be canoed or kayaked and offer glimpses of waterflow and shorebirds
- 300 miles of marked trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding, and cross country skiing
- Scenic spots for painting, photography or quiet reflection
- Joanna Huyck
- Need admin access?