AKA Science (All Kids Are Scientists) is recruiting Class Leaders to teach a fun, hands-on after school science program to elementary and early middle school students. Classes are held once or twice per week for 8-10 weeks, and each class lasts 1-2 hours. In early 2018, schools will be offering our popular "Biology Quest" series.
Most classes begin in early to mid-January (exact date varies by school), with training prior to the first class. Our goal is to identify candidates ASAP.
AKA Science is a fun, hands-on after school science program for students in kindergarten through 6th grade. We use interactive experiments to encourage exploration and discovery. Each class engages a maximum of 16 students. The program is managed by local nonprofit Impact NW, and each school selects and supervises its own Class Leader. AKA Science Class Leaders receive training in innovative teaching methods and the specific activities in the curriculum.
**The curriculum and all supplies are provided.**
We seek applicants who are passionate about education and display a positive attitude. Previous experience working with school-aged children is highly preferred. A background in science is not necessary (we provide clear instructions and explanations). All applicants must be over the age of 18 and able to pass a background check.
This is a temporary, part-time instructor position. Depending on the school, this may be a volunteer position or compensation may be available. The time commitment is to prepare for and teach an after-school class, once or twice a week, for 8-10 weeks. There are multiple schools currently seeking Class Leaders in the Portland Metro area.
- Gain experience teaching elementary school students
- Help students get excited about science and learning
- Receive training, feedback, and networking opportunities
TO RECEIVE A LIST OF SCHOOLS WITH OPENINGS:
- Please visit: www.impactnw.org/aka-science
- Click the "Volunteer with AKA Science" button, then fill out the very brief form on that page.
- After you fill out the brief online form, you'll receive a list of school contacts you can follow up with (based on which ones seem like a potential good fit to you) within a few business days.
Please contact Kim Menig: kmenig at impactnw.org or (503) 709-1286.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check