Under general supervision, this volunteer position will coordinate all activities of Pflugerville Pets Alive!’s (PPA) volunteer program including recruiting, training, recognizing, and supporting volunteers, maintaining volunteer records, and performing related tasks required to achieve PPA!’s mission.
The ideal candidate is a "people person" with outstanding communication, project management, conflict resolution, and empathic skillsEssential Job Functions
- Ensure all departments have sufficient volunteers to meet operational needs.
- Design and implement successful volunteer recruiting campaigns and onboarding programs in cooperation with other departments.
- Conduct new volunteer orientations with assistance from the Volunteer Coordination Team, created as needed.
- Design and implement a meaningful award program to identify and recognize individual and team accomplishments.
- Design and implement specific methods for retaining volunteers and ensuring that volunteers are assigned jobs that ensure maximum fulfillment.
- Perform daily coordination of volunteers, solicit feedback from volunteers regarding job satisfaction, and conduct exit interviews with volunteers who no longer want to participate in the program.
- Provide a point-of-contact and conduit on volunteer issues between individual volunteers and PPA!’s senior volunteers and team/committee leads.
- Research, implement, and administer a volunteer record management system.
- Recruit volunteers for PPA! training opportunities to aid retention and provide skilled individuals to specialized teams.
- Leverage fundraising opportunities through fees, volunteer giving, and education about the funding needs of the organization. It is expected that funds raised will meet or exceed the funds expended on this position.
- Hold regular meetings with PPA!’s CEO to determine ways to maximize the value of the volunteer program to the organization.
- Prepare and administer funding grants and proposals for volunteer activities.
- Develop and communicate performance expectations and criteria for volunteers at all levels.
- Counsel volunteers about performance issues and dismiss volunteers for cause after consulting with CEO.
- Volunteer at some events to achieve maximum volunteer cohesion.
- This position requires an Associate degree and a minimum two years’ experience with planning, coordinating, implementing, and directing volunteer-related programs, preferably at a non-profit organization.
- Experience serving as a volunteer in an animal services organization is a plus.
- Proficiency with volunteer management software. (We currently use TrackItForward with about a .05% usage rate)
- Excellent skills in oral and written communication, customer service, and public presentations. Bilingual ability is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to be flexible, multi-task, and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong ability to lead and manage large diverse groups of people in a multi-cultural setting to positively impact our organization’s goals.
- Ability to define and set priorities, reach goals, and evaluate and report results.
- Proficiency with Google Drive as well as z';lknMicrosoft Office or Apple iWork office suite, and email/Internet software. Knowledge of Microsoft Windows or Apple operating systems a plus.
- Use of tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment, within general policy and procedural and legal guidelines, in dealing with volunteers and the public.
- The Volunteer Coordinator could be needed to volunteer evenings, weekends, and some holidays to accommodate volunteer schedules.
- The Volunteer Coordinator may be exposed to dangerous and diseased animals, and animals known to cause allergic reactions.
- The Volunteer Coordinator may interact with upset staff and volunteers in interpreting and enforcing PPA!’s policies and procedures.
- Resource Development / Management
- Performance Management
- Animal Care / Handling
- Google Apps
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 6+ hours per week