Under the general supervision of a Development Department Coordinator, the intern will be a key member of our mass market events staff team, working on a variety of projects that will develop customer service, fundraising, marketing and event planning skills. These projects include portfolio management of participants, event marketing, event logistics and community engagement initiatives.
- Portfolio management. You'll get your own portfolio of participants and teams to coach through their fundraising journey for one or two of our mass market events- Walk MS, Bike MS and MuckFest MS.
- Community outreach. You'll be working in the local communities of our events, establishing partnerships with local business and organizations, encouraging participation, in-kind donations and volunteering.
- Event promotion. Posters, pamphlets, informational letters, emails, online calendars, media inquiries... you name it. You'll be promoting the events to increase fundraising and participation.
- Event logistics. Assist the logistics team with event needs and seek out ways to improve the event! Think outside of the box and execute.
- Bring your own skills to the table. Don't see a project on here that you have skills in? Think your skills will further the mission to end MS forever? Bring them to the table. We encourage new ideas and new perspectives.
- Field of Study: Business, Marketing, Communications, Hospitality, Event Planning or other related fields. Graduate students and recent graduates welcome to apply.
- Year in school: Available to all undergraduate students
- Time Commitment:
- Duration: 18-24 weeks
- Hours per week: part-time 10 -20 hours
- Minimum Experience/Skills:
- A people person. You'll be meeting and speaking with a lot of people, between your portfolio of participants, in-kind donors and community leaders. You are comfortable cold-calling organizations and speaking on the phone.
- A good communicator. Between emails, phone calls and in-person meetings, you'll be communicating a lot. You proofread emails before you send them, are clear and concise when speaking and are professional.
- Organized and detail-oriented. You know how to manage your time effectively. You like spreadsheets and calendars. You notice typos and formatting differences.
- Passionate about making a difference. At the Society, we are passionate about what we do. We connect with people who are affected by MS every day and our passion fuels our work. You share a passion to have meaningful work and make a tangible impact.
- A college student. You study Business, Marketing, Communications, Hospitality, Event Planning or another related field. Graduate students and recent graduates are also welcome to apply!
- Physical requirements. Ability to lift 25 pounds (we move a lot of t-shirt boxes!) and sit in front of a computer and use phone equipment for a length of time.
- Microsoft Office skills. We use a lot of spreadsheets! Proficiencies in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint are a must.
- Training. We will teach you all you need to know about the Society and multiple sclerosis. You'll also get training on our database systems and software.
- Time commitment. This is a part-time internship (10-20 hours per week). We are happy to work with your class schedule and availability. We are looking for candidates that can begin Mid-January, with an end date to be determined in May or June depending on portfolio and needs.
- Spring/Summer events. Our Walk MS events are scheduled for Sunday, April 29 and Sunday, May 6, 2018. Bike MS: Tour de Farms is scheduled for Saturday, June 23 & Sunday, June 24, 2018. We ask that you be available to attend at least one of these events. They are fun and a great way to see your hard work come together!
- Data Entry
- People Skills
- Donor Management
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-20 hours /week January – June
- Available day of events: Walk MS: 4/29 & 5/6 Bike MS: 6/23 & 24
- Walk MS 2018: Orland Park
- Winter/Spring 2018 Internships!...
- Walk MS 2018: Deerfield
- Basketball at the United Center?...
- Winter/Spring 2018 Internships!...
- Walk MS 2018: Lake in the Hills
- Walk MS 2018: Naperville
- Walk MS 2018: St. Charles
- Bike MS 2018: Tour de Farms June...
- Walk MS 2018: Rockford
- Walk MS 2018: Chicago, Soldier...
- Walk MS 2018: Schaumburg
- MS Soiree - Volunteer at our Jr....