Interested in being part of positive change for our community's outdoor cats, but not sure where to begin? Join us for a worthy project, meet interesting people and help our community cats!
HarnessLife.org, a non-profit organization based in Hunterdon County, NJ., conducts various events with an aim to reduce cat and dog overpopulation. One of our most popular projects is the monthy Spay Shuttle where, in partnership with a couple of fellow non-profit groups, we subsidize local TNR (trap, neuter, return) efforts. Local residents (trappers) bring community cats to a designated location in Hunterdon County, where the cats are then picked up by a "spay shuttle", brought to a spay/neuter clinic for surgery, then brought back to the location the same day, where the participating trappers retrieve them. The cats recover in a safe warm space and then are returned to their managed colonies.
We are seeking a person to coordinate this monthly Spay Shuttle initiative.
- Send out a monthly announcement to notify the local community (through social media) of the next Spay Shuttle date.
- Keep an Excel spreadsheet signup list of participants, numbers of cats and other relevant information.
- Contact participants two days prior to the spay shuttle to monitor numbers and make necessary adjustments to achieve a goal of a total of 30 cats registered.
- Coordinate drop-off: arrive at designated location on the day of event at 6:30 a.m. to open the gates and prepare for arrival of shuttle and participants.
- Check-in participants, make sure all cat carriers are labelled appropriately, collect appropriate fees and review special details with spay shuttle driver.
- Coordinate pick-up: be prepared to arrive at designated location between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. Get invoices from spay shuttle driver and monitor the pick-up of cats by participants.
- Ability to devote approximately 6-8 hours each month.
- Detail oriented.
- Some social media know-how.
Candidate(s) will work closely with experienced volunteer(s) to learn the process and to meet the participants and collaborators; once trained, candidate(s) should run this project independently, communicating with director as necessary.
- Data Entry
- Program Management
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hrs computer; 3-4 hrs on shuttle day (monthly)
- Shuttle is currently scheduled for the 3rd Wednesday of every month.