Become a Mentor
PURPOSE: To give a young person in need of social, developmental and emotional support the companionship of a caring adult.
"If I hadn't had mentors, I wouldn't be here today. I'm a product of great mentoring, great coaching... Coaches or mentors are very important.."
Indra Nooyi, the CEO of PepsiCo
- Responsible for meeting with the assigned mentee for the agreed-upon time frame (i.e., often weekly meetings for at least one year)
- Act as a resource and guide
- Serve as an example/role model
- Accept and relate to youth who may not share the volunteer’s lifestyle and values
- Respect the mentee’s right to self-determination and independence
- Willing spirit
- Openness to cultural differences
- Good listening skills
- Sense of humor
Matches will be made on the basis of interests, skills, background, knowledge, and temperament of both the young person and the mentor.
Benefits for Mentors:
- Training in communication skills, the role of a mentor, diversity training and youth development.
- Increased skills in working with youth
- Insight into the life of a youth and youth culture
- The privilege of interacting with a young person open to being guided by a caring adult
- Program Management
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 10 hours a month