Every month we help homeless families find and secure permanent housing throughout the Bay Area. Unfortunately, our families lack the resources to be able to afford linens and beds for their kids, a dining table for family dinners, and basic necessities like towels, curtains, and dressers to store clothes and desks for homework. It is not uncommon for us to arrive at an apartment to see sleeping bags on cold floors and nothing else. SF HOME ensures that families don’t have to live like that!
A case manager and volunteers will meet on a given move-in day at our storage center in San Francisco, help load a moving van with furniture that has been pre-determined to meet the needs of the family, and then drive to the location of the family’s new home and unload and set up in the apartment. Depending on availability, we provide as much as we possibly can to turn the house into a cozy, comfy, inviting home: couches, chairs, beds, mattresses, linens, pillows, tables, dishes.... It is a truly transformative experience for volunteers, Compass staff, and ultimately the family. Please help us turn a house into a home for those who have been missing out for far too long!
- Must be able to lift furniture such as mattresses, box springs, couches, tables, and more.
- Must be able to transport yourself or carpool with other group members
- Volunteers with access to a truck, van or large car are especially needed - we rent one when we can, but don’t always have the financial ability to do so.
- Truck Driving
- Bus/Van Driving
- Warehouse Equipment Operations
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1 – 4 times a month, during weekdays at 3-4 hours
- Must be able to lift furniture; Must be able to transport yourself; Preferably have access to truck