High School Program Director: ChickTech Orange County
DONATE TO THIS
12 people are interested
At ChickTech, we believe every girl and woman has the right to fulfill their true potential. We support our community by providing hands-on experiences to strengthen personal and professional skills that will make our members, volunteers, and those we serve successful in their personal and professional lives.
Do you have experience working with High School youth? Then this experience may be for you!
We are currently recruiting 1-2 individuals to serve as our 2019-2020 ChickTech High School Program Directors. This is a leadership position that can be shared with another individual, however candidates must be willing to take on the position on their own and assist with the recruitment of a co-lead if one is wanted. This role is responsible for ensuring the success of our ChickTech High School Program: a free year-long program for 100 OC High School girls providing them opportunities and experiences meant to support them in pursuing a STEM career pathway.
This volunteer opportunity could be for you if you have/are:
- Currently employed (business owners and recruiters are welcome!)
- Experience in the tech industry
- 2 years’ experience planning events
- 3+ years leading a team of people
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- An entrepreneurial and solution-oriented mindset
- Experience working with youth
- The ability to understand "What’s in it for others"
- Strong work ethic, appreciation for work, and a demonstrated understanding that there is no work beneath anybody.
- Be willing to be ultimately accountable and get the job done, even if you have to do it yourself
- Ability to stretch a dollar and appreciation that money "Doesn’t grow on trees"
- Have previously attended ChickTech events before
- Media and Photo Release
- Nice to Have
- Experience working on Diversity and Inclusion initiatives or experience working with underserved communities
- Sales, Business Development, or Fundraising Experience
- Understanding or willingness to learn about the nuances of the OC high school community
The High School Director(s) will recruit and lead a team of volunteers. This role will have the following requirements and responsibilities:
- Leadership Team Responsibilities
- Commit to a one-year term
- Have 8-10 hours/week availability (if this role is held by one person)
- Sign a leadership team agreement describing expectations and responsibilities
- Be an external voice for ChickTech
- Attend monthly virtual or in-person leadership team meetings
- Chapter Development
- Assist with the long-term sustainability of the chapter by meeting a Chapter Development goal.
- Find opportunities to promote our work, volunteers, and impact in the community
- Oversee that volunteers that report to this role are making progress towards achieving their Chapter Development Goal and enforcing our Chapter Development policy.
- Promote our ChickTech High School Program and ensure we meet our annual metrics.
- High School Kickoff Planning and Execution
- Organize and execute a 2 day weekend event in Fall of 2019 serving 100 High School girls.
- Determine workshop topics and offerings based on ChickTech’s established methodology and process.
- Develop recruitment and outreach plan for obtaining 100 student participants
- High School Workshops Planning and Execution
- Develop work plan for school year offering at least 1 event/month between January 2020-April 2020.
- Careers events must focus on different aspects of technology, besides programming. (e.g. creative, VR/AR, UX design, etc.)
- Ensure the Chapter documents best practices and maintains historical knowledge
- Ensure that our programs demonstrate our commitment to diversity and inclusion through our target audience, content, outreach, location.
- Recruit qualified volunteers to facilitate workshops (and must be willing to promote our events)
- High School Program Logistics
- Attend high school events
- Obtain donated event space for our events
- Ensure that events are held all across Orange County (not just Irvine) in order to demonstrate our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- Career event locations must alternate locations across the County each month and this role must be willing to travel across the County to ensure we are effective in our outreach
What’s in It for You:
- An opportunity to lead a growing organization and change lives for Women and Girls in Orange County
- The ability to build and strengthen your leadership skills outside of a traditional work setting.
- Opportunities to network and build relationships in the OC Tech and Education Industries
- Opportunities to network on a national level with leaders of our sister chapters across the globe
- Business growth and development experience
- Invitations to speak at events, serve on other leadership and advisory boards
- Opportunity to serve underserved and underrepresented youth in our community by providing them career and educational options and opportunities.
- Volunteer Appreciation Events
- Free Admission to our ChickTech Careers Events
If you are interested, please complete the following. Applications that do not follow this process will not be considered.
- Fill out our Volunteer Application: https://airtable.com/shrmfeOTpwr0qfHk5
- Submit a cover letter to Christine Lambino-Cunliffe at firstname.lastname@example.org detailing the following:
- Your understanding of ChickTech and what problems we try to solve
- Your understanding of this role and how this role will influence the problems we try to solve in question 1.
- Your understanding of what are some of the unique challenges high school girls face in pursuing or considering a future in the tech industry.
- Your interest and qualifications for this role in particular:
- Provide examples of previous work to support and retain women in tech
- Provide examples that demonstrate your understanding and commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Demonstrate your knowledge of the Orange County Job Market, in particular the Tech Industry
- What ChickTech events you have attended or volunteered at (mandatory for consideration for this role. If you have not attended a ChickTech event, you cannot apply until you have done so)
Please include a copy of your resume in your email.
If you are looking to take on this role for the sole purpose of adding it to your resume or to find a job, don’t apply . Leadership service for a nonprofit organization requires both a personal commitment and a time commitment, and we are no exception. We expect that the right person for this role will take the initiative to learn about us first (e.g. attend our events, be an active volunteer) and only after doing so, provide solution-oriented suggestions for growth and improvement. You will be asked to participate in 1-2 interviews with other Orange County leadership team members.
Expect about a 4-8 week onboarding process. During that time you will be introduced to our chapter and expected to learn the ins and outs of not only our Chapter, but the OC Tech Community as well as our peer organizations.
We will have you lead events and initiatives to expose you to the values and processes of our chapter and make sure you are willing to do the necessary work. You will also be required to learn our Chapter Development process and make progress towards your Chapter Development Goal before becoming part of the leadership team.
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.
- Program Management
- Project Management
- Community Outreach
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 8-10 hours/week
- Background Check, Chapter Financial Development Requirement