Online Book Sales Volunteers work as a team with other volunteers from the
organization to sell books online using the various online storefronts
maintained by Friends of the Camarillo Library Bookstore (Amazon, ebay).
The team uses email, text messaging, and Google Docs, as well as telephone and face to face
meetings, to communicate and coordinate activities. Experience in and access to these
computer applications is a basic requirement. Familiarity with Excel substitutes for Google Docs
The Team Leader is the Online Book Sales Lead Volunteer, under the supervision of the
Bookstore Supervisor. Online Assistants jointly perform some or all of the team duties,
depending on their level of experience and assignment. Initially, primary functions, in
coordination with other team members, are steps 8 and 9. Additional online sales training will
be provided and scope of tasks expanded over time.
The primary team duties include
1) Identify books that are potentially valuable enough to sell online versus in the Bookstore.
2) Determine market value by assessing book condition, desirability, and the number of
comparable copies already for sale within the various online storefronts.
3) Prepare the book for sale.
- Clean, prepare and evaluate need for in-house repair for best sales presentation.
- Write detailed book description including an accurate description of condition.
- Take and edit photographs of book to include in listing.
5) Immediately enter the listing information on the Google Docs spreadsheet and notify
6) Monitor and respond to customer inquiries about the book.
7) Upon notification by a storefront that the book has sold, immediately de-list the book on
all storefronts where it was advertised.
8) Appropriately package and mail the sold book within storefront’s required timeline.
9) Update the Google Docs spreadsheet and notify team.
10) Evaluate the status of books not sold to determine if the book should be re-priced, de-
listed, or the description revised.
Secondary duties include
1) Create ads to promote existing inventory and send them to those on our Collectible Books
email list and Social Media followers.
2) Develop and follow up on leads for potential buyers of specialized books before or after
3) Maintain current written task instructions.
4) Support the organization on annual projects, campaigns, activities and events.
5) Advocate, encourage and support the organization.
- Online sales experience a plus
- Basic book condition and description vocabulary
- Excellent oral, written, and digital communication
- Computer proficient
- Highly organized
- Detail oriented
- Customer service
- Capable of virtual communication via email, text messaging, Google Docs
- Work with minimal supervision under strict deadlines
- Understand and appreciate the benefits of working in an all-volunteer, nonprofit organization
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Approximately 5-10 hours per month
- Flexible schedule
- Perform computer tasks at own location
- Minimum one year commitment
- Be a member of Camarillo Friends of the Library
- Basic Computer Skills
- Sales Process
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Customer Service
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 hours a month
- Become a member of Friends, One year commitment