A Free Bird (AFB) is a 501(c)3), nonprofit art therapy organization dedicated to helping young people with cancer explore the artist within, by inspiring, teaching and celebrating them as artists. Founded in 2011, our organization remains 100% volunteer. Please take a moment to visit our website, www.afreebird.org to gain a better understanding of who we are and what we do.
AFB is at an exciting transformational moment as we move into the next stage of growth. What began as a startup is developing into a national and international movement with the capacity to encourage, nurture and uplift children with cancer and other debilitating and life threatening diseases the world over. We have many ideas, plans and projects that we’d like to execute and launch this year, including a couple capital projects that involve a new home for the organization in an abandoned theatre, and setting up a branch office is Israel, among others.
We are challenged to create a fundraising and development operation that will provide the annual revenue and a depth of support we need to ensure that our programs and organization are supported and sustained over the short and long term. The organization’s leadership is deeply committed to its fundraising success.To this end, the Board seeks a part-time, volunteer Director of Development to join our organization for the long term. At the end of the first year, a commission can be negotiated.
The successful candidate must have an authentic passion for our mission, excellent management skills, demonstrated success as an engaging fundraiser and a highly articulate communicator, skilled at making a compelling case for support both on paper and in person.
Ideally, here’s what we would like in our Director of Development:
- An established leader with at least 10-15 years of senior development experience with demonstrable achievements, both financial and operational
- Proven ability to build, manage, mentor, motivate, and hold accountable to high standards, a diverse volunteer team, located in remote locations
- A commitment to excellence and success in increasing the effectiveness of development staff through established objectives and methods
- Expertise in strategic and operational resource development planning (both short and long-term); demonstrated success in executing broad fundraising strategies
- Proven ability to personally develop strategies, cultivate, solicit and steward major and institutional donors at the six and seven-figure levels; the ability to inspire high-net worth individuals and major foundations to financial leadership
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including grants writing, with an emphasis on the ability to persuade
- Creative and innovative, with entrepreneurial and strategic inclinations
- A Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred
- Commitment to working 20-hours per week (minimum of 10)
- Commitment to volunteering a minimum of one year with AFB
How to apply: please send your CV along a brief cover letter stating the reason for your interest, your ability to commit your time, and what you hope to receive in return.
AFB does not discriminate on the basis of gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other status protected by law.
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Business Development
- Professional Development
- Strategic Planning
- Brand Development & Messaging
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 3-6 months
- 10-15 hours per week.
- Volunteer Magazine Writer!
- Volunteer Director of Development
- VP of HR
- TV Crew Director
- Volunteer CPA
- VP of Marketing
- Package Assembler Volunteer
- Children Programs Coordinator
- Drummer, Violinist, Dancer,...
- Administration Volunteer
- Sound Editor
- Marketing Assistant
- Costume Designer for TV Show
- Graphic Designer for Non Profit
- Director of Development
- Volunteer Producer!
- Production Designer for TV Show
- Volunteer Talented Guitar Tutor
- Volunteer Artist Manager
- PR Social Media Coordinator