Position Summary: The Kitten Nursery Caregiver Intern is responsible for assisting with animal care and volunteer coordination at the Best Friends Kitten Nursery. Part time and full time interns may apply. This is an unpaid internship and housing is not provided. Start dates are flexible with ideal dates starting spring/early summer of 2017.
● Under supervision, facilitates the daily feeding, cleaning, medical care, and enrichment of cats and kittens in the Kitten Nursery in accordance to Standard Operating Procedures. Reports any medical or behavioral concerns to Kitten Nursery staff.
● Administers medications and provides treatment, including care for critical patients. This may include assisting in physical examinations, administering injections, oral medications, fluid therapy, syringe feeding, and tube feeding.
● Provides assistance to staff in working with the Foster Coordinator to ready kittens from the Kitten Nursery for placement in foster homes.
● Keeps animal records current, including intake paperwork, feeding charts and medical logs.
● Assists in managing inventory of all Kitten Nursery supplies, ensuring all necessary supplies are stocked and available at all times.
● Maintains an integral part in providing 24-hour care of kittens in the nursery. Intern must may be asked to work some evenings, overnight hours, and early mornings so flexibility with scheduling is ideal.
● Expedites proper contamination and sanitation protocols in all areas of the Kitten Nursery as directed.
● Assists staff in working with veterinarians to determine proper treatment of sick or injured kittens in the Kitten Nursery.
● Maintains daily communication with and oversight of volunteers dedicated to the Kitten Nursery. Assists staff with training new volunteers.
● Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
● After a short training period, demonstrates ability to care for kittens and cats and follow contamination protocols.
● Demonstrates approachability when dealing with volunteers and staff.
● Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
● Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings, and perspectives of others.
● Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
● Accurate, appropriate, clear, and concise written and verbal communication skills.
● Must be able to routinely lift up to 40 pounds.
● Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
● Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to: walking, bending, lifting, carrying, twisting, reaching, stooping and squatting.
● Ability to effectively and safely handle cats and kittens and spend extensive periods of time with those animals in close quarters.
Additional Requirements :
To be considered for this position you must be currently enrolled in a college/university (open to both undergraduate and graduate students).
College credit toward related major, minor or general electives. One hour of college credit is earned for 40 hours of work. This is an unpaid internship.
Hours Per Week:
At least 15 hours per week/depending upon the number of weeks scheduled to intern. Can accommodate more hours if desired.TO APPLY: please submit cover letter and resume to Kara Odenbaugh, Kitten Nursery Lead, at volunteerla @bestfriends.org .
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- At least 15 hours per week
- To be considered for this position you must be currently enrolled in a college/university
- Join the Volunteer Committee...
- Help Community Cats in Columbus,...
- Best Friends National Conference
- Best Friends - Atlanta Volunteer...
- Help save Community Cats in...
- Best Friends - Atlanta Animal...
- Community Cat Outreach in the...
- Los Angeles: Foster Volunteer
- Join the Volunteer Committee...
- Best Friends - Atlanta Community...
- Kitten Nursery Caregiver...
- Best Friends Animal Society...
- Community Cat care and...
- Join the volunteer committee...
- Help Save Community Cats in the...
- Best Friends National Conference...