Children's Art Tutor
A Free Bird
A Free Bird is a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization based in New York City. Our focus is to provide children, ages 4-18 who are patients or survivors of juvenile cancer, the opportunity to explore their artistic passions and give them the strength to fight their disease. We believe that artistic expression is critical for healing! A Free Bird supports children affected by cancer in their exploration of art, music, acting, poetry, writing, singing and any other artistic passion they may have.
You will be working with the child under our Take Flight Program which pairs a tutor and a child together from the child’s art form that they choose. It is a 12-week program consisting of One Hour per week continuously checking in with the Programs Director as well as updating the Child Life Specialist and Psychologist about what you have been teaching the child. You will work closely with the Programs Director to create a 12-week plan for the child.
We are seeking a candidate with experience and talent in art, music, acting, poetry, writing, singing and any other artistic passion they may have to work with a child affected by cancer.
- Provide non-classroom one to one instructions to our young students
- Assess the appropriate ability level of each student
- Teach students drawing/painting mechanics
- Help students learn how to draw/paint
- Teach students study skills, note taking skills and performance skills
- Monitor the progress of the students so their needs can be identified
- Give timely and honest feedback to students and parents
- Communicate with creativity and clarity
- Arrange recitals and concerts for students' families and friends
- Experience working with young students
- Previous coaching experience
- Minimum performance experience
Key Skills for Artists
- Ability to motivate others
- Determination and perseverance
- Passionate and mission-driven
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Motivated to work with nonprofit organizations
- Mission Driven
Due to the recent outbreak of COVID-19 and its severity, this will be a remote work from home position. The organization has committed to our interns/volunteers’ health and we will adapt to the new working environment accordingly.
Proper at-home working capabilities include Laptop, SmartPhone, and connection to WiFi/internet. Must be available to have a phone/video conversation at least once per week.
About A Free Bird
146 smith st, Brooklyn, NY 11201, US
A Free Bird aims to provide the opportunity for children diagnosed with cancer to continue explore their artistic passion, and to give them the strength and the power to fight their disease.
A Free Bird is a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization based in New York City. Our organization provides children diagnosed with cancer the opportunity to explore their artistic passion. Artistic expression has been proven to play an instrumental role in the healing process. We support children affected by cancer in their exploration of a range of self expression such as art, music, acting, poetry, writing, singing and other creative mediums.