Title:Refugee Child Day-Care Volunteer Liaison
6 months to 1 year commitment: Weekdays during working hours. The commitment may involve more time- 1 to 2 times a week in the beginning and then will depend on number of cases moving forward.
Volunteer Job Function
The Child Day-Care Volunteer Liaison will help identify and establish partnerships between Caritas of Austin and various Child-care providers in the Austin area. Under the supervision of the Resettlement Program Manager the Child Day-Care Liaison will also work closely with Case Managers and Employment Specialists to facilitate placement of children in day-care centers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide outreach services to establish partnership with child day-care centers and/or State Licensed home child-care providers
- Maintain relations with day-care centers to provide accurate and up to date information on availability, rules and offerings at day-care centers across Austin
- Develop and Keep an up-to-date database on partners’ day-care facilities, including State licensed home child-care providers.
- Coordinate with staff via phone/email on their clients’ day care needs. Keep database up to date on active and closed cases for when child care stops.
- With the help of an interpreter, facilitate the understanding of Refugees parents in the enrollment process; help them fill out day-care applications and other related paperwork
- Teach clients to use public transportation and find day-care centers
- Take clients to day-care center for the first visit
- With the help of an interpreter, communicate with parents the day-care rules and culture
- Assist staff in communicating with day-care centers
- Teach client important "do’s" and "don’ts" related to day-care and the parents’ responsibility
- Update Case Manager and Employment Specialist on client’s assignments on a regular basis by phone or email.
- Help clients apply for public day-care voucher programs and other resources for more long-term day-care solutions
- Regularly record volunteer hours on the google doc by the end of each month.
- Other duties, as agreed to with the Supervisor.
- Ability to work independently, under the direction of staff
- Project driven and sees projects through to completion
- Patient and able to work with English Language Learners (little to no English) from a variety of backgrounds
- Ability to communicate with people from various cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Friendly, but always mindful that relationships must be professional, not personal
- Prior experience in mentoring, training or outreach desirable, but not required
- To transport clients, the volunteer must have:
- Reliable transportation
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Current State ofTexasdriver’s license
- Proof of up-to-date insurance
Volunteer Dress Code policy:
Your contact with our constituents - clients, donors, other volunteers, visitors and the general public - is vital to agency operations and places a special emphasis on your role in projecting a professional image. You are expected to dress in attire appropriate for the people whom you meet volunteering and for the kind of role that you perform. Use good judgment, and if you have any questions about appropriate attire, ask your supervisor.
- Pre-training screening interview
- Criminal background check
- Direct Service Volunteer Training classes include completion of the following:
Caritas 3: Understanding the Reality of Poverty
Caritas 6: Welcome to Caritas ofAustin
Caritas 7: Working with Refugee/Resettlement Clients
Recommended further trainings: Caritas 101, 2, 4 and 5 along with staff trainings as available
To work with interpreters, the volunteer will also need an orientation on interpreter use- to be scheduled ASAP upon starting.