Dr. Barbara Reuer, an internationally-recognized leader in music therapy, founded Resounding Joy in 2004 and has guided the organization’s growth from a group of volunteers with a closet of instruments to San Diego's primary nonprofit provider of music therapy. Resounding Joy provides music therapy to the community through four programs designed for underserved populations: Semper Sound, Mindful Music, Sound Minds, and Healing Notes.
- Semper Sound is devoted to working directly with service members and veterans with combat-related stress and trauma.
- Mindful Music trains volunteers to use recreational and supportive music with seniors of all abilities.
- Sound Minds facilitates weekly sessions at high school infant centers, providing teen parents an opportunity to reconnect with their children during the school day.
- Healing Notes provides free music therapy to improve medical outcomes and quality of life for children struggling with severe or life-limiting diagnoses.
During 2016, Resounding Joy’s team of board-certified music therapists will reach over 1,500 individuals (7,000 contacts). An additional 2,000 individuals will benefit from volunteer-led supportive or recreational music. In alignment with its mission, the vast majority of Resounding Joy's services will be provided free of charge.
Help plan location and time/date of events, design theme
Skills: Event planning, organization, creativity
- Event Management
- People Skills
- Event Planning / Management
- Relationship Building
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- 6 Hours a month