Volunteers needed to become counselors providing free, objective and unbiased Medicare counseling with SHIIP (Seniors Health Insurance Information Program) in Greensboro, High Point and Guilford Country.
You don't need a Medicare background. An online course, ongoing training, and support are provided.
The time commitment is usually about 1-3 hours every two weeks, sometimes once a week, depending on how much time you have to help. During Open Enrollment, Oct 15-Jan 7th, it would be great if you can do more when legions of people contact us to change or look at their plans.
You help people immensely with Medicare choices. Often you save them money. For example, one of my counselors saved a senior $14,000 a year on her medication costs by showing her a preferred pharmacy that charged less for her expensive meds than the non-preferred pharmacy she was using.
We also sign income-qualified people up for Extra Help, a program that saves them money on their medications.
This is a rewarding and mentally stimulating opportunity. You get to make a difference in the lives of many people, seniors and disabled, who have or are going on Medicare.
One of the biggest benefits of volunteer for this program is you challenge your mind learning about Medicare and with the problems you will solve, most of the probles are easy to remedy.
As you may know, you derive multiple benefits from volunteering; here are 6 benefits:
1. A sense of purpose that many people lose when they retire.
2. The satisfaction of accomplishment.
3. Studies indicate you are less likely to get depressed if you voluteer.
4. Other studies suggest volunteers live longer and have "greater functional ability."
5. You meet like-minded people, more so with SHIIP if you are a person who likes to challenge your mind and learn new things all the time.
6. When you successfully help people, you often feel elation, kind of like a helper's high. And it truly feels good to know you are making a difference in the lives of others and in a small way in the world. If you are a retired, this is a rewarding way to spend your retirement years.
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Reading Comprehension
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- A few hours a week. More during Open Enrollment.
- The desire to help people and a compassionate heart.