During these uncertain times, how can we help?
See below to access our COVID-19 Resource Hub, and to explore our growing directory of both COVID-19-specific and virtual volunteering opportunities.
IMPORTANT:This volunteer opportunity requires mandatory trainings 4 times a year from 1-4pm, usually on Thursdays. If you are a full time work or a student, you would need enough flexibility in your schedule to meet this critical requirement.
Volunteers needed to become Medicare counselors providing free, objective counseling for Medicare plans with SHIIP (Seniors Health Insurance Information Program) in Greensboro, High Point and Pleasant Garden. You don't need a Medicare background. An online course, ongoing training, and support are provided.
This is a rewarding and challenging opportunity. You do a lot of problem solving and get to make a difference in the lives of many people, seniors and disabled, who have or are going on Medicare.
You help people make informed choices for their health care needs. Often you save them money. For example, one of my counselors saved a senior $70,000 a year on her medication costs. Another counselor saved a senior $14,000.
We also sign income-qualified people up for Extra Help, a program that saves them money on their medications.
The time commitment is usually about 1-3 hours every two weeks, sometimes once a week, depending on how much time you have to help. During Open Enrollment, Oct 15-Jan 7th, it would be great if you can do more when many people contact us to change or look at their plans.
One of the biggest benefits of volunteer for this program is you challenge your mind learning about Medicare and with the problems you will solve, most of the problems are easy to remedy.
As you may know, you derive multiple benefits from volunteering. Here are 6 benefits:
1. A sense of purpose that many people lose when they retire.
2. The satisfaction of accomplishment.
3. Studies indicate you are less likely to get depressed if you volunteer.
4. Other studies suggest volunteers live longer and have "greater functional ability."
5. You meet like-minded people, more so with SHIIP if you are a person who likes to challenge your mind and learn new things.
6. When you successfully help people, you often feel elation, kind of like a helper's high. And it truly feels good to know you are making a difference in the lives of others and in a small way in the world. If you are a retired, this is a rewarding way to spend your retirement years.
Senior Resources of Guilford, 1401 Benjamin Pkwy, Greensboro, NC 27408, US
The mission of Senior Resources of Guilford is to serve our diverse community of seniors and their families by advocating and providing support services that enhance the independence, health and quality of life for seniors.
Senior Resources of Guilford that provides services for seniors. Call SeniorLine, our information and referral like, for a full description of our programs and for any needs specific to seniors.
We'll work with your schedule.
1401 Benjamin ParkwayGreensboro, NC 27408
February 3, 2020