About Minnesota Children's Museum
Minnesota Children’s Museum’s mission is sparking children’s learning through play. We are dedicated to providing children with a hands-on and stimulating environment to explore and discover. With locations in St. Paul, Rochester, and the Mall of America, MCM employs 65 full-time and 65 part-time employees and engages over 1,300 volunteers annually. At MCM our workplace values that guide how we work together are: Play, Include, Grow, Serve and Strive.
Minnesota Children's Museum is dedicated to growing a diverse and culturally competent team of highly engaged staff and volunteers. Applicants from diverse populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
We seek 1-2 enthusiastic individuals looking to gain experience in digital storytelling, marketing, and social media at a non-profit serving over 400,000 visitors a year in sparking children’s learning through play. The interns will be responsible for assisting the external relations department with content creation including social media and communications at Minnesota Children’s Museum. Responsibilities may include producing web video for the museum’s blog , an e-newsletter and other owned digital channels and assisting with the execution of a content (editorial) calendar. This includes shooting and editing video and conceiving video stories that support the #PlayMoreMN movement and/or digital photography. All positions include collecting analytics from owned social media channels and MCM.org, conducting market research and analysis, assisting with promotional and sales opportunities, and assisting with marketing plans.
Major Job Accountabilities
The exact duties and projects will be determined by mutual agreement of the intern and museum staff. All duties will be carried out with the direction and supervision of the External Relations department.
- Creating content for owned channels
- photos and video for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube
- Researching as directed
- Executing content calendar
- Promotions & partnerships
- material/collateral fulfillment including mailings
- includes list management/clean up
- communications with key partners to ensure fulfillment of partnership
- includes securing additional member benefits
- compiling, analyzing & reporting on admission data
- includes coupon redemption tracking
- keyword research for AdWord campaigns
- build, monitor and analyze AdWord campaigns
- assist with coordination and day-of-event duties as needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability and willingness to work independently.
- Strong writing (copywriting) and proof reading skills with an eye for detail.
- Formal education in related field (marketing, communications, journalism) or related experience.
- Ability to organize time, follow directions and complete tasks in an effective manner.
- Ability to interpret and analyze data.
- Knowledge of branding, logos and target audiences.
- Ability to work well with people.
- Computer skills, including MS Office Suite and Google Drive
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Experience in one or more of the following (please indicate this is your application):
- Long-form blog platforms
- Graphic design software
- Social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter
- Video capture and editing
- Intern orientation
- Policies and practices of communications in a nonprofit cultural institution
- Optional free trainings: The Ways of Play
* The Museum has the following equipment/software available for use onsite: Sony SR11 HD Video Camera, Sony Shotgun microphone, iMovie, and Adobe Premier.
Please include the following with your application:
- LinkedIn profile
- Portfolio of volunteer and/or professional experience relevant to the position you are applying for.
- This includes photography, videos, published written work and links to public social media accounts that you contribute to.
Applications accepted until positions are filled.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Online Flash/Video Production
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Video Production
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-12 hours per week
- Museum Experience Intern
- Block Party Volunteer
- One Time Gallery Prep Volunteer
- Exhibit Documentation Intern
- Recruitment & Onboarding Intern
- Integrated Marketing...
- Third Free Sunday Volunteer
- Museum Experience Coordinator...
- Studio Assistant - Creative...
- Join the Play Team! Summer Teen...
- Group Assistant
- Exhibit Fabrication Intern
- Digital Media Intern
- Youth Development Intern
- Integrated Communications Intern
- Helping Hand Volunteer
- Studio Intern
- Membership & Sales Intern
- Integrated Marketing Intern