This role supports the Be The Match Walk+Run National Program. The purpose of the Be The MatchWalk+Run event series is to raise funds for Be The Match and its life-saving mission. This internship provides the opportunity to experience first-hand the many facets of operating a fundraising event following a national template within six national markets.
National Coordinating Center in Minneapolis
500 N 5th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Assist with event operations including: data entry, list development, supply shipment, storage inventory, story mining, and other efforts based on the direction provided by the Development Administrative Specialist.
Assist with event wrap-up for the fall events.
Assist with creating and updating processes and templates to support the national series of events.
Research potential promotional opportunities in all six markets.
Research additional potential sponsors and in-kind donations for both the national series and each event.
Research like-minded organizations for potential event partnerships.
Support event day and committee volunteer recruitment.
Elicia Bechard, Development Administrative Specialist
- August - December 2017, ideally
- Must volunteer a minimum of 120 hours
- Flexible working hours of approximately 10-15 hours/week
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Must complete a background check.
- Must be enrolled at an institution of higher learning. There is a 6-month grace period post-graduation. The internship can be for class credit but that is not required.
- Self-motivated, strong interest in nonprofit work and belief in community services, strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work in an office environment using office tools like Microsoft Office.
- Comfortable and effective working independently and as a member of a team.
- Lifting boxes and supplies may be required as part of preparing for event and promotional opportunities.
Intern receives an orientation and works under the direction of the Development Administrative Specialist. Can expect to develop time management skills, writing and communication skills, leadership skills, and proficiency working with volunteers. Can also expect to gain knowledge of fundraising and event logistics.
The National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) and Be The Match (BTM) is the global leader in providing marrow, PBSC, and umbilical cord blood transplants to patients with leukemia, lymphoma, and other diseases. The nonprofit organization matches patients with donors, educates health care professionals, supports patients and their families, and conducts research so more lives can be saved.
Be The Match Walk+Run Overview:
Be The Match Walk+Run is a fundraising event that helps patients with blood cancers like leukemia find a marrow donor and receive a life-saving transplant. Every four minutes someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer. It can happen to anyone at any time. But so can a cure - a marrow transplant. The cure for blood cancer is in the hands of ordinary people. Most of us won’t have a marrow donor in our family and Be The Match matches volunteer marrow donors with patients who need them.
The Be The Match Walk+Run (5K, 1K, and Tot Trot) raises funds to: add more volunteer potential marrow donors to the Be The Match Registry, giving more patients hope for a cure; help patients with uninsured treatment costs; and support continued marrow transplant research.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Event Planning / Management
- Administrative Support
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 120 hours min; flexible schedule 10-15 hours/week
- Must be enrolled at an institution of higher learning.