Mentor a First-Generation College Student
50 people are interested
Only 11% of low-income, first-generation college students are expected to earn bachelor’s degrees. You can help America Needs You (ANY) change this.
ANY fights for economic mobility for ambitious, first generation college students. We do this by providing a two-year, intensive mentoring and professional training program where first-generation students ("Fellows") are paired with young professional volunteers. We serve over 600 students and over 1,000 volunteers in California, Illinois, New Jersey, and New York.
As a volunteer Mentor Coach, you will work one-on-one with one of our Fellows through their entire two-year journey through our program, attending career development workshops and bringing our best-in-class curriculum to life with your real world experiences and industry insight. Workshops take place on Saturdays and include trainings by our expert staff, hands-on activities to practice new skills, panels and presentations, leadership opportunities and group discussions.
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Strengthen your management skills by learning how to coach and mentor young adults
- Sharpen your public speaking and communication skills by leading workshops, participating in professional panels, and presenting in your area of expertise
- Gain access to exclusive professional development and social events
- Build your own personal network as you work closely with highly accomplished professionals from a variety of industries
- Develop a one-on-one mentoring relationship with your Fellow and help them achieve their career ambitions
- Serve as a role model and resource for your cohort of Fellows and volunteers
Our program for the incoming 2020 cohort of Fellows and Mentor Coaches will begin in August. Workshops are typically in-person, but may be held virtually due to COVID-19. We will resume in person meetings as soon as it safe to do so.
Apply to be a Mentor Coach here: https://www.americaneedsyou.org/mentors-apply/
About America Needs You
260 West 39th Street, Suite 701, New York, NY 10018, US
America Needs You fights for economic mobility for ambitious, first-generation college students. We do this by providing transformative mentorship and intensive career development. ANY operates in New York, New Jersey, Illinois and California. Visit www.americaneedsyou.org to learn more information.
America Needs You aims to build a movement of like-minded individuals who believe that one day there will be no barriers to economic mobility for students with ambition and ability. By mobilizing volunteers we will ensure that low-income and first-generation college students have the support, information and access necessary to realize their career aspirations.
We'll work with your schedule.
Various LocationsChicago, IL 60601
May 8, 2020
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Relationship Building
- Critical Thinking
- Orientation or Training
- 28 Saturday workshops over 2 years (for Mentor Coaches)
- Learn more about volunteering with ANY at: https://www.americaneedsyou.org/how-you-can-help/volunteer//