Cooking Matters ia nutrition education program that fights hunger by teaching families how to make healthy and budget wise food choices.
Professional chefs and nutritionists volunteer their time and expertise to lead hands-on courses that instruct adults, teens, and kids living in low-income families how to get the most nutrition out of a limited budget.
As a class assistant, arrive 30 minutes before class is scheduled to begin. Help unload groceries, supplies, equipment, arrange tables, chairs and the kitchen area, set up cutting boards on prep space with a wet paper towel underneath (to keep them from moving around), assemble grocery bags with spice packets for each participant, wash produce that will be used in class before class begins, set out cleaning supplies, paper products, and serving items, set out participant materials.
Make sure all participants sign in on attendanace sheet.
Be a runner for chef, support nutrition instructor and participants with activities and visual aids as needed.
Helping supervise during prep (especially with knives), take class photos, gathering, cleaning, washing, and packing dishes, equipment and supplies.
Serve as a positive role model for participants in the class.
- Food Service
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours, 3 hours a week for duration of the class
- Travel to class location. After class collect participant books, hand out grocery bags,help clean up
- Cooking Matters-Chef Instructor
- Hilltop volunteer
- Commons and Fountains Resident...
- Cook Matters-Class Assistant
- Family First Meal Preparation...
- Family First Special Events...
- Supporting Our Seniors (S.O.S.)...
- Commons and Fountains Activity...
- Family First Child Care Support
- B4 Babies and Beyond...
- Cooking Matters/Registered...
- Life Skills Mentor-Montrose