Event Committee Description
Reports to: Assistant Director, Stewardship and/or Event Committee Chair
The Flashlight Music Festival: Flashlight is a unique, experiential event that raises awareness and money to help end homelessness in Baltimore. Hosted by St Vincent De Paul of Baltimore, one of the oldest charitable organizations in the state, Flashlight offers participants an opportunity to spend a summer night enjoying music, food and fun while supporting the more than 5,000 individuals and families who experience homelessness each year in the Baltimore region.
Flashlight will give participants the opportunity to learn about homelessness and connect with the issue in a variety of ways. This event is intended to focus on raising funds for the cause by creating a fun and engaging experience, while highlighting the importance and seriousness of the cause. Ideally, participants will leave event with a better understanding of the issue homelessness, a clear idea of how they can help and can continue to help, and the desire to return the following year.
Event Committee: Comprised of 20 members, this committee is responsible for identifying and organizing the event opportunities for young professionals and millennials to engage in meaningful volunteer activities for the Flashlight event of St. Vincent de Paul of Baltimore. Requires approximately 5-7 hours per month and is a 9 month commitment. All members are expected to promote this event through their networks, via social media and other networks. Any scheduled meeting, in person or conference call, members are required to attend.
Event Committee Chair: The Chair provides leadership to the event committee for the event planning process; coordinating committee tasks, providing guidance to volunteers as needed, and recommending the final decisions. The Chair is the spokesperson for the Event Committee-articulating the goals and progress of the event, and providing a committee and event evaluation for the upcoming year.
- Oversee the committee, supported by event staff
- Recruit key volunteers and motivate committee members to chair various committees
- Communicate responsibilities and ensure objectives are met
- Ensure communication between committees is active and productive
- Chair committee meetings and foster an environment that generates new and exciting ideas
- Assist in securing sponsorships
- Recruit new members
Promotion Committee - Develops and implement strategies to promote event to sell tickets and get bands and vendors to participate in the event
- Stay up with current event to cross promote Flashlight
- Research and seek bands that have the right appeal to get more people to the event and help with sponsorships
- Research and secure vendors for the event
Sponsorship Committee- Identifies all elements of the event that could be sponsored. Solicit and secure both momentary and in-kind sponsorships. Assist with the solicitation of in-kind and corporate sponsorships.
- Assist with identifying at least 50 corporations/groups to participate in Flashlight
- Solicit and secure monetary and in-kind sponsors
· Record and report sponsorship status to the Event Chair
· Assist with stewarding sponsors
Volunteer Committee- establish volunteer roles and responsibilities for the event, along with event staff. Recruits volunteers for the event for all roles and shifts, ensuring they bring the required level of skills, experience, self-motivation and ambition to act on their own initiative as well as embrace the team concept. Assist with overseeing event volunteers at the event.
· Establish a comprehensive list of potential volunteers and recruit for specific event tasks
· Work with Committee and Event Staff to develop a list of specific jobs/task for the event
· Assist event committee and staff with establishing volunteer schedule including various shifts, volunteer eating and sleeping, and level of difficulty for task
· Assist with volunteer handbook and orientation
· Establish a protocol for volunteer recognition
· Create opportunities for volunteer succession planning through post-event evaluations
· Ensure the volunteer experience is meaningful, fulfilling and, fun!
- Public Relations
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18