Do you want to make a long lasting, measureable impact on the Topeka community? Join the Planning Committee for Walk MS: Topeka!
The event will take place on April 22 nd at Lake Shawnee. Committee members will meet once a month until then and volunteer during their downtime to plan the event.
We’re currently looking for members interested in the following volunteer positions:
1. Route & Logistics Coordinator
- Selects and coordinates a route
- Develops a site plan for set-up
- Marks the route
- Ensures that all equipment needed for the event is on-site
- Secures transportation if necessary
- Creates communication plan for the day of the event
- Identifies risk management issues and resolves any safety problems
Tip: Someone with event planning experience either from their career or through volunteering would be a great fit for this position.
2. Recruitment & Teams Coordinator
- Distribution of brochures (in stores, churches, schools, health clubs, beauty parlors, barber shops, etc.)
- Share information about prizes and fundraising with participants
- Present at service clubs and organizations to recruit walkers and volunteers
- Recruit teams through service clubs, schools, and businesses
- Organize registration at the event
Tip: An active service or social club member, a business leader or high community officer would be perfect for this position.
3.Sponsorship & In-Kind Coordinator
- Secure donations to enhance the supplies given to you by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (such as refreshments, drinks, and give-a-ways)
- Create a letter to local businesses for cash sponsorships
- Visit local businesses to secure their involvement and support of the walk
- Ensure that all sponsors are recognized before, during and after the event
Tip: A businessperson, local store owner, restaurant manager, or salesperson would be perfect for this position.
4. Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator
- Promote the walk through newspaper, radio, and television
- Ensure that the walk date is on all community calendars
- Collect and submit human interest stories for local newspaper or journals
- Provide local businesses, organizations, schools and clubs with information
- Contact city officials and ask for their support
- Arrange for day of the event coverage
Tip: A local newspaper reporter, editor or a DJ (on-air personality) from a local radio station would be able to do a wonderful job in this position.
5. Right Arm
- It is a good idea to have a person that is your back up. Keep him/her informed of everything that is going on so that, he/she can step right in and keep the ball rolling if you are unable to fulfill any duties.
- This person can be a committee member listed above or someone else.
Interested in learning more? Contact the MS Society volunteer coordinator, Leanne Mersmann at Leanne.Mersmann@nmss.org or call 816-448-2195. Or, you can visit our website www.WalkMS.org
- Event Design & Planning
- Event Management
- Donor Management
- Event Planning / Management
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Meet once a month, a few hours each month