Adult Education Tutor
22 people are interested
Volunteer tutors assist students with reading and writing, numeracy, English language acquisition, and/or computer literacy skills in a supportive environment. Both one-on-one and small group tutoring opportunities are available. Volunteer tutors are instrumental in encouraging and supporting the adult learner by helping them develop confidence and a positive attitude about education. Tutors recieve regular staff support, have access to a vast library of instructional materials, and join an active learning community of educators and volunteers for ongoing professional development. Scheduling is flexible.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend a 1 and ½ hour orientation, complete a class observation and participate in a 12-hour tutor training.
- Meet with student(s) weekly in a public, neutral location (preferably HACC or a public library) for 1.5-2 hours per week for a minimum of six months.
- Engage students in the decision-making process of developing an education plan and setting goals.
- Plan and design lessons and choose appropriate materials for student’s interest and level.
- Create a positive and encouraging learning environment that acknowledges and celebrates a student’s progress.
- Complete and submit paperwork (attendance records, goal sheets, student progress reports) in a timely manner.
- Refer students to other services as needed, in consultation with the Literacy Specialist or Manager
- Maintain appropriate professional boundaries with the student.
- Read the bimonthly newsletter to stay informed about program information and participate in professional development activities of interest.
- Respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner.
- Communicate with the Literacy Specialist or Manager when there are questions, concerns or suggestions.
We'll work with your schedule.
7648 N. Paulina StreetChicago, IL 60626
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Basic Computer Skills
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5 hrs - 2 hrs per week for a minimum of 6 months