Do you like taking the lead? Are you a rockstar at inspiring others around you? Do you like to help plan events for your community, family, friends or coworkers?
If you answered yes to any or all of those questions above we are looking for you to join our Walk Committee for our 2017 Walk MS: North Shore on Sunday, May 7th. We are looking for individuals to help in the following areas; Route & Event Experience, Volunteer Recruitment, Sponsorship & In-Kind Donations, and Community Engagement (more on each role below)
WHAT IS WALK MS?
Walk MS is one of the National MS Society’s signature fundraising campaigns. It has been raising funds and awareness for the Society since 1988. To date, Walk MS has brought in over $970 million to support life changing programs and cutting-edge research.
Each Walk MS event offers a unique opportunity to engage with others with a connection to this disease who are coming together to raise funds and celebrate hope for the future.
WALK MS VISION
Walk MS is the rallying point of the MS Movement, a community coming together to raise funds and celebrate hope for the future.
WALK MS COMMITTEE ROLES:
Route & Event Experience:
- Helps selects and coordinate a route
- Helps develops a site plan for set-up
- Ensures the route is marked
- Ensures that all equipment needed for the event is on-site
- Works with Sponsorship & In-kind Lead to secure event enhancements such as DJ/Band, refreshments, kid’s area activities, etc.
- Secures transportation if necessary (golf carts)
- Creates communication plan for the day of the event
- Identifies risk management issues and resolves any safety problems
Tip: Someone with event planning experience either from their career or through volunteering would be a great fit for this position.
- Present at service clubs and organizations to recruit walkers and volunteers
- Recruit volunteers through service clubs, schools, and businesses
- Collaborate with Volunteer Manager to identify volunteer needs for Walk MS
- Brainstorm and research volunteer groups
- Solicit organizations and volunteer groups to serve as Walk MS volunteers; collaborate with Volunteer Manager
- Host and lead volunteer training sessions with Volunteer Manager
- Assist with overall organization of volunteers, assignments, and check-in on event day
Tip: An active service or social club member, a business leader or high community officer would be perfect for this position.
Sponsorship & In-Kind Lead:
- Secure donations to enhance the supplies given to you by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (such as refreshments, drinks, and give-a-ways)
- Create a letter to local businesses for cash sponsorships
- Visit local businesses to secure their involvement and support of the walk
- Ensure that all sponsors are recognized before, during and after the event
Tip: A businessperson, local store owner, restaurant manager, or salesperson would be perfect for this position.
- Promote the walk through newspaper, radio, and television
- Ensure that the walk date is on all community calendars
- Collect and submit human interest stories for local newspaper or journal
- Provide local businesses, organizations, schools and clubs with information
- Contact city officials and ask for their support
- Arrange for day of the event coverage
- Distribution of brochures (in stores, churches, schools, health clubs, beauty parlors, barber shops, etc.)
Tip: A local newspaper reporter, editor or a DJ (on-air personality) from a local radio station would be able to do a wonderful job in this position.
- Excellent leadership, management, motivation, negotiation & communication skills
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Prior project or event management experience a plus
- Internet and email access
- Two year commitment (preferred)
- Estimated time commitment:February - May
- Monthly check in with Staff Partner
- Ongoing check in with committee chair
- Attending Walk MS-related events (kick-off, awards party, presentations, etc)
- Make a positive impact in the lives of all those affected by MS
- Network with high-impact community leaders
- Develop and enhance current leadership and management skills
- Gain valuable experience to enhance personal and career growth
- Event Planning / Management
- Relationship Building
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-10 hours a week (depends)
- Committee Chair - WALK MS:...
- Walk MS 2017: South Suburbs:...
- Walk MS 2017: West Suburbs -...
- Walk MS 2017: McHenry County -...
- Licensed Medical Professionals...
- Bike MS 2017: Tour de Farms June...
- Walk MS 2017: Chicago, Soldier...
- Walk MS 2017: Rockford -...
- Walk MS 2017: Rockford
- Walk MS 2017: Northwest Suburbs:...
- Do You own a Motorcycle? Join...
- Walk MS 2017: St. Charles
- Walk MS 2017 - McHenry County...
- Walk MS 2017: Northwest Suburbs...
- Drivers Wanted (DO NOT NEED CDL)...
- Committee Leads - WALK MS:...
- Walk MS 2017 - South Suburbs...
- Walk MS 2017: South Suburbs...
- Walk MS 2017 - St. Charles...
- Committee Leads - WALK MS: North...