The Vice President of Patient Liaison plays a crucial role in forging links with rare disease patients, patient groups and foundations. This requires someone who understands the rare disease space intimately and is well known and connected in the space. This person must have a background that allows them to make a significant contribution to the organization. Suggested backgrounds are executives in the life sciences. Other backgrounds are Physician, Pharmacist, Dentist or Nurse. Although knowledge of the rare disease space is valuable, this person may or may not have a rare disease. Retirees with relevant experience are welcome.
Basis: This is a volunteer position
Reports to the President, Dr. Lorna Speid
Patient Support Responsibilities:
- Develop strategies to connect the PRDPF! organization to rare disease patients worldwide
- To lead the Physician Liaison Committee and the Patient Liaison Committee
- Develop strategies to forge links and connections for PRDPF! with patient foundations globally
- Provide training to the committees that are formed to support the Patient Liaison function
- Speak at patient conferences on behalf of PRDPF!
- Write White Papers and Blogs on behalf of PRDPF!
- Forge links with journalists and others who are seeking to understand the rare diseases space
- Act as an ambassador for Putting Rare Diseases Patients First!
- Help raise awareness and advocate for Rare Diseases Patients First!
- Participate in media and public relations efforts when needed
- Protect the confidentiality of patients, their families and our strategic information
- At least 10 years of relevant experience
- At least a first degree (Bachelors), and preferably a Masters or doctorate
- Be self motivated
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent command of the English language
- Ability to empathize with rare disease patients and parents of children with rare diseases.
- Ability to take the initiative
- Self starter
- Require the minimum of supervision
- Integrity and good character are essential for this position
- Ability to make telephone calls to hospitals, patients, clinics, patient groups, that are serving
the rare disease patient community.
- May have a rare disease, but this is not a requirement for the role. However, the ability to empathize with
patients with rare disease is an important qualification
- Teaching / Instruction
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Patient Care
- Critical Thinking
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 30
- Orientation or Training
- At least 10 hours per week is a requirement
- No less than 40 hours per month expected