Cooking Matters is a 6-week, hands-on nutrition and cooking educational series offered to limited resource participants around the greater Charleston Area. As a volunteer, you will be sharing your knowledge and skills to engage and encourage participants to choose healthier foods for a healthier lifestyle. Make a real difference in the lives of people at risk for hunger.
- Help facilitate low-income individuals at risk of hunger to select and prepare healthy low-cost food.
- Manage class materials, including food, equipment and supplies.
- Help facilitate classes by assisting with onsite or offsite class preparation and implementation; support the volunteer Chef and Nutrition Instructors during class.
- Help with set up and clean up.
- Assist with food shopping and classroom management, as needed
- Work with participants, as needed.
Volunteer Work Schedule:
- 3 hours a day, once a week for six consecutive weeks + lesson planning & prep time.
You will have the opportunity to work with other passionate volunteers as each team is composed of a nutritionist, chef, and class assistant. Volunteer instructors receive the curriculum that will be taught in each class. Most of all, our Cooking Matters classes are fun and exciting and provide you with some quality volunteer experiences.
*Cooking Matters classes take place at various locations throughout the Lowcountry, including Beaufort, Hampton, Jasper, and Colleton Counties.
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training