Cooking Matters is a 6-week, hands-on nutrition and cooking educational series offered to limited resource participants around the greater Charleston Area. As a volunteer, you will be sharing your knowledge and skills to engage and encourage participants to choose healthier foods for a healthier lifestyle. Make a real difference in the lives of people at risk for hunger.
- Teach individuals how to select, purchase, and prepare healthy low-cost food.
- Teach the nutrition lesson components of a 6-week class series to 10-15 participants.
- Break down recipe steps into simple, doable tasks so that each class participant can be involved in food preparation/cooking at a 'cooking station’.
- Highlight and supplement nutrition information with your own culinary/health knowledge and experience.
Volunteer Work Schedule:
- 3 hours a day, once a week for six consecutive weeks + lesson planning & prep time.
You will have the opportunity to work with other passionate volunteers as each team is composed of a nutritionist, chef, and class assistant. Volunteer instructors receive the curriculum that will be taught in each class. Most of all, our Cooking Matters classes are fun and exciting and provide you with some quality volunteer experiences.
*Cooking Matters classes take place at various locations throughout the Lowcountry, including Beaufort, Hampton, Jasper, and Colleton Counties.
- Cooking / Catering
- Teaching / Instruction
- Food & Beverage Services
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training