Refugee Services of Texas has some newly-arrived clients who need some superhero volunteers!
We currently need:
- A male volunteer interested in providing private English lessons 1x/week in Mesquite
- A volunteer with experience in special needs to visit (and perhaps teach knitting or other activities) to a young woman in Dallas
- A volunteer to visit and go on walks with an elderly couple in South Dallas
- General family/ladies' mentors who cans serve clients in South Dallas
Adult "Mentors" assist newly arrived refugees of all backgrounds to become adjusted and engaged in their new communities. RST Volunteers are our most valued resource, serving as advocates, confidants, and friends to our new neighbors - as well as lending your own personal life experiences and skills to these sessions!
What to expect:
All RST Volunteers attend an Orientation and complete a background check with a $10 processing fee. Information for scheudling will be provided to applicants.
The relationship and experience can vary widely, based on your mutual interests and the needs and goals of our clients. English levels also vary but do of course improve over time, and even more quickly with the help of our volunteers. For various reasons, our female, elderly, and special needs clients do not always get out of the house as much as others - this quality time with good company is very much appreciated and, in acting as an informal liaison, you can assist us with connecting them to resources and reaching goals.
Weekly meetings are preferable and volunteers are also free to check in from time to time via text, Facebook, etc. Transportation and a willingness to openly communicate with the Mentor Coordinator is key!
Our clients live near 635 and Forest, Vickery Meadow, or far south Dallas. We are looking for volunteers for all of our service areas - or who are willing to make the drive. Our clients often do not have transportation when just arriving, and it is required that volunteers be willing to meet them at their house or a central location determined by RST staff. Providing transporation to a coffee shop off-site, or to run errands is permitted as well.
Contact us today for more information and to schedule an interview/meeting!
- Special Needs
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Counseling / Mental Health
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly meetings of 1 hour or more, for 3 months
- $10 processing fee during orientation. Social skills, kindness, and patience!