About Blessings in a Backpack:
When school dismisses on Friday, 15.8 million children will leave their classroom, uncertain whether they will have enough food to eat that weekend. One in five American children face food insecurity - more than the populations of New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago combined. During the school week, most of these children depend on the federal free and reduced meal program their school offers. Sometimes, the meals at school are the only ones they get. When the school closes it doors on Friday afternoon, many of these children go home to empty cupboards and hunger pangs for 65 hours until they return to school on Monday morning. Who will feed them this weekend?
We will. Due to the dedication of our volunteers throughout the country, children living with food insecurity will benefit from more than 3 million hunger-free weekends this school year.
We are seeking a PR/Media Intern to work with our Marketing Department.
PR intern will support new market development. Activities include:
- Developing trend tracking reports for BIB
- Assisting in the development of key messages, Q&A, fact sheets and press materials
- Identifying networking, marketing and visibility initiatives in geographic regions, and pitching to all local media avenue(s)
- Research, insights and POVs on relevant topics
- Supporting relevant new projects
- BIB Louisville internship positions are available for credit and last approximately 16 weeks. Looking for students that have 12-15 hours a week to dedicate.
- Internship position is not compensated. Intern may be eligible for college credits.
- Applicants must have completed their junior year of undergraduate study, with first consideration given to graduating seniors and recent graduates.
- Applicants with a serious interest in communications who have experience in or are comfortable with writing news releases, pitching print and online media, and conducting research are encouraged to apply.
- Applications are welcome from students with concentrations in all major areas, but backgrounds in journalism, mass media, communications, public relations, political science, English, and radio and television broadcasting are preferred.
Application Guidelines: Please submit the following materials with your application:
- Cover letter
- One writing sample
- Letter of recommendation
Please note that we conduct most of our hiring around these sessions, but are constantly evaluating our internship needs.
Winter/Spring: January - April (Deadline: November 30)
Summer: May -- August (Deadline: February 15)
Fall: September - December (Deadline: July 15)
Please submit requested documents to Anita Knazze, Manager of Volunteer Services, at
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Market Research
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 12-15 hours per week
- Enthusiasm and Energy