SAY San Diego is a local non-profit agency serving low income families and children. We are a community based agency that partners with youth, adults and families, to reach their full potential. Our vision is opportunity, equity and well-being for all San Diegans.
O’Farrell Family Support Services (FSS) offers individual and family counseling, case management, crisis intervention, community agency referrals and much more. O’Farrell FSS is located on the campus of O’Farrell Charter School and is administered by SAY San Diego.
SAY San Diego’s volunteer will provide administrative support to the O’Farrell Family Support Services (FSS) in order for staff members to appeal to a higher number of clients, share the workload and focus their time on other immediate tasks.
Start Date - End Date:
As early as Dec. 5th, 2016 for at least 4 months or one semester (can volunteer for longer if available).
- Staff front desk (would be point of contact in office for visitors and clients)
- Greet clients and assist with appointments
- Research referral options for O’Farrell students and families (ie - counseling services and medical services, etc)
- Build and update a referral directory for staff and clients
- Assist with social media efforts
- Data entry and administrative support services would be included
- Provide documentation and data entry quality and control
- Demonstrated strength in verbal and written communication. Ability to communicate in a professional, pleasant and courteous manner. Demonstrated experience in providing excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated skill to resolve conflict and handle confrontation with tact and professionalism.
- Ability to work with a variety of individuals (staff, students, faculty, vendors and visitors) in person, by phone, and email in a pleasant, professional and courteous manner.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize tasks and meet established deadlines. Ability to work under pressure calmly and efficiently, coping with variable workloads, and keep track of many diverse activities, requests and directions simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; able to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, team environment with little supervision.
- Excellent knowledge of English language including proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Proficient keyboard skills, including typing, word processing. Ability to use other standard office machines.
- Ability to keep accurate detailed records.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is a plus but not mandatory
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be cleared through TB test, drug test, background check
- May be asked to provide references
Note: There is a therapy dog on site.
Training and Support:
Interested Volunteers will be required to fill out a Volunteer application, followed by an interview with the Program Coordinator and must go through clearance before they can receive an orientation and training.
Will be invited to attend our annual Volunteer Recognition Lunch in June
Awareness of SAY San Diego’s resources
Gain Non-Profit Organization experience
Gain knowledge and experience in the Social Services field.
- Data Entry
- Resource Development / Management
- People Skills
- Social Media / Blogging
- Web Design
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-20 hours a week
- Reliable transportation