Employment & Career Services (ECS) Job Coach
The Employment & Career Services (ECS) program at JFS is a program that was established to provide
support to community members affected with job loss. Over the course of two weeks, ECS offers a
four-day job preparation course and Career Kick-Start, which provides job seekers with the
essential skills needed to find employment. Career Kick-Start course teaches resume and cover
letter writing, interview skills, social media, and personal branding. Participants of Career
Kick-Start are eligible to receive one-on-one Job Coaching with a professional expert. Volunteers
are essential to this program by helping instruct Career Kick-Start classes, providing Job Coaching
and leading other job-related workshops.
Goal of Position:
Provide 1:1 job search assistance to graduates of ECS Career Kick-Start. Job Coaches will utilize
their professional background and skills to provide constructive instruction, accountability,
mentorship, and helpful resources to individuals who are seeking employment or a career change. Job Coaches will assist job seekers with their professional skills and confidence that will lead them
* Help unemployed or underemployed San Diegans become job ready
* Opportunity for Business & Human Resources Professionals/Career Specialists/Recruiters to give
back to the community by using their professional skills
* Transforms someone's financial situation by helping them find a job
* Gain knowledge about the current job market and increase your own professional skills
* Ability to network among other professional volunteers and staff
* Meet one-on-one with job seekers for a total of 6 times in 6 weeks to work on goals established
on their IEPs. First meeting takes place at JFS headquarters.
* Provide advice and guidance to help people make realistic choices about careers, employment and
* Conduct mock interviews and discuss networking techniques and strategies
* Critique resumes and cover letters
* Communicate with ECS regarding changes to their availability
* Collaborate closely with JFS staff at least once a month to report progress
* Keep track of all volunteer hours and report to JFS staff upon request
* Seeking working, technical, and retired professionals to leverage their knowledge to assist
employment seeking individuals
* Ideal for people who would like to contribute to the progress of a job seeker
* Professional background in Business, Human Resources, Career Counseling, Employment Services is a plus
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Knowledge of grammar, style and formats for resume writing
* Ability to describe accomplishments and skills in an effective manner
* Must be dedicated, reliable, patient, and compassionate
* Must enjoy helping people from diverse backgrounds
1. Ability to work independently and experience with job seeking process
2. Must be able to provide own transportation to the JFS Joan & Irwin Jacobs Campus
3. Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
4. Attend a JFS volunteer interview with JFS staff
5. Agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy
Once a week, one-hour meetings, for a total of six weeks.
Jewish Family Service Joan & Irwin Jacobs Campus 8788 Balboa Avenue San Diego, CA 92123 & other
locations agreed by volunteer and client.
ECS Employment Specialist
- Career Counseling / Coaching
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- One hour a week
- Experienced professional skills
- Musical Entertainers Needed!
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Experience Career and Employment...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- St. Paul's Cathedral: Help...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give a Ride and a Smile: Older...
- Community Presenter Wanted!...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Nutrition Server: Help Serve...
- Camp Pendleton & Murphy Canyon:...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Home Not Alone: Help an Older...
- Nonprofit Reception Support...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant