13 people are interested
Spread a Little Love with the Therapy Dog Program at A-B Tech Community College
ORGANIZATION: A-B Tech Community College
Please visit the new page to apply.
13 people are interested
Spread a little love with the Therapy Dog Program at A-B Tech. The College recognizes the positive influence that therapy dogs can have on students and staff. Not to be confused with service dogs, therapy dogs help by visiting and spread kindness and providing comfort. A-B Tech Teams may either have regular routes on campus, visiting public areas, and staff offices or assist with special requests such as visiting classrooms before exams or special events on campus.
A-B Tech is grateful for all the Therapy Dog Teams that support the staff and students. We hope if you have a Therapy Dog you will consider adding A-B Tech to your routine. The college requires that all Teams provide copies of their Therapy Dog Certification, and attend a new volunteer orientation session and walk-through of the campus before starting.
- The owners/handlers will follow all of the rules of their certifying registry.
- The dog shall be under the direct and continuous supervision and control of the volunteer handler at all times.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will determine which therapy dogs will be invited to visit the campus.
- Report all incidents to the A-B Tech Campus Police, Volunteer Coordinator, and the registry, which certifies the dog and handler team.
- All handlers are required to attend the volunteer orientation and be registered volunteers at A-B Tech.
- An application, background check and orientation/ brief training are required before starting this position.
- Must be able to commute to A-B Tech in Asheville NC. This position is in-person. Schedules are based on volunteer availability.
- Times will vary in the Summer and closed for school holidays, breaks and between semesters. Shifts occur Monday - Friday from 9 to 5 on scheduled school days.
- Must have a social security number, be over the age of 18 and this position is not eligible for community service.
- Only dogs certified medically fit and are trained and certified by an appropriate accrediting agency shall be allowed to visit students and staff. Their accrediting agency must annually certify all dogs.
- Dogs must be a minimum of one-year-old to visit. Non-spayed dogs are not allowed to visit when in estrus.
- All dogs must submit their up-to-date identification card from the certifying registry each year.
- The dog must be bathed, well-groomed and checked for signs and symptoms of health problems.
- Comfortable and appropriate attire is required.
- Building temperatures are variable and some visits are outside - please dress accordingly.
- Some walking is involved - comfortable footwear is recommended.
- Various locations across A-B Tech Campus, 340 Victoria Rd., Asheville NC 28801. May also include the additional A-B Tech Woodfin (Canoe Lane, Woodfin) Campus.
Health and Safety:
- For current COVID-19 guidelines visit https://abtech.edu/COVID
Founded in 1959 in the heart of Asheville, A-B Tech is the largest higher education institution in Western North Carolina, serving approximately 23,000 students a year in Buncombe and Madison counties. One of 58 community colleges in the NC Community College System, A-B Tech offers 190 degrees, diplomas, and certificates, as well as a wide range of workforce training and continuing education programs. A-B Tech includes the main Asheville campus, A-B Tech Enka (home of the A-B Tech Small Business Center and Business Incubation Program, Craft Beverage Institute of the Southeast and N.C. BioNetwork), A-B Tech Madison, A-B Tech Woodfin, the Goodwill Center and the ABCCM Transformation Village in West Asheville, and a future location at Biltmore Park West. Learn more at abtech.edu. To learn more about our volunteering program visit www.abtech.edu/volunteer.
About A-B Tech Community College
340 Victoria Road, Asheville, NC 28801, US
Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College inspires, nurtures, and empowers students and the community toward a better quality of life through progressive teaching, bold innovation, and supportive collaboration.
Volunteers are a vital part of achieving our mission of student success while delivering quality education to enhance academic, workforce, and personal development. Volunteers from all backgrounds serve in various capacities across all our campuses, from administrative support to tutoring.
Learn more about A-B Tech at https://abtech.edu/
A-B Tech Community College340 Victoria Rd.Asheville, NC 28801
February 9, 2024
- Animal Therapy
- Adult Education
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Options for regularly scheduled visits are Mon-Fridays for around 45 - 60 minutes during business hours of 8 am – 5 pm. Sometimes special request for one – time visits will occur.
- Must be trained and certified by an appropriate Therapy Dog accrediting agency. The Volunteer Program accepts Therapy Dog certification from: Alliance of Therapy Dogs, Therapy Dogs International and Pet Partners.