Purpose and Impact: Bienestar aims to build housing, hope and futures for the well-being of working families in the Hillsboro and Forest Grove area. We own and are responsible for the upkeep of four single-family houses, which were originally acquired through the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP). As Bienestar’s Maintenance Foreman, you’ll play a key role in helping us to assess, prioritize and plan maintenance projects on each of the four homes. By leading the maintenance work and helping to coordinate volunteers to complete projects, you’ll have a direct hand in helping us provide safe and affordable housing to hardworking low-income families in the region.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Assess and perform necessary preventative and corrective maintenance in four houses
- Collaborate with Bienestar staff to prioritize and plan maintenance projects, including communicating volunteer needs
- Manage volunteers and provide on-site expertise during large projects
- Ensure that work is completed in a safe and efficient manner
- Guide and train volunteers in construction methods and safe operation of equipment
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute effective home repair projects
- Passion for home improvement, construction, carpentry or related interest
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including safe use, repair, and maintenance
- Ability to supervise volunteers of different backgrounds and ability levels
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Experience working in construction, maintenance, or a related field
- Spanish fluency is a plus, but not required
Time Commitment: This is an ongoing volunteer opportunity, and the time commitment will vary depending on the needs of each project. Ideally, the Maintenance Foreman will commit to a year of service with at least 10 hours allocated to Bienestar per month.
Site and Supervision: The Maintenance Foreman reports to Bienestar’s Executive Director. For large projects, the Maintenance Foreman will need to help coordinate and manage a team of volunteers. Our four NSP houses are located in Hillsboro, Forest Grove, Beaverton and Cornelius. Find a full list of properties, including addresses, here.
Volunteer Benefits: The Maintenance Foreman will gain valuable hands-on experience with a variety of home repair and construction tasks. By managing teams of volunteers for large projects, the Maintenance Foreman will gain valuable management experience that can translate to both the private and the nonprofit sector. This volunteer position is also a great opportunity for experienced retirees looking to remain active in the fields of construction and maintenance.
Contact: For questions regarding this position, contact Volunteer Coordinator Alyssa Vitale ( email@example.com or 503.693.2937 Ext. 102).
All volunteers must submit an application and pass a criminal background check, which will be paid for by Bienestar.
- Facilities Management
- Janitorial Maintenance
- Home Repair
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training