Program: The Volunteer Engagement department supports 25+ programs of JFS that utilize volunteers in different capacities. Volunteer Engagement recruits, screens, interviews, and places all volunteers into appropriate programs. The department is also responsible for maintenance of all volunteer personnel records and assists with volunteer appreciation.
Goal of Position: Each year through our Embrace-a-Family Program, individuals, families, and groups in the community help ensure families in need have a joyous holiday celebration. This year we hope to have 500 families "embraced" by generous donors in the community. Embrace-a-Family story editors will enhance this program by providing a personal touch to each family narrative. These narratives will connect donors to families and help ensure that families receive the support they need during the holiday season.
- Edit the stories of families in need & bring them some holiday cheer
- Learn about how JFS does valuable work through Embrace-a-Family
- Chance to work with friendly staff who are passionate about their work
- Gain a sense of satisfaction in knowing that your time and talent are making a significant impact in the lives of those in need
- Develop and edit compelling and inspiring family narratives to engage donors
- Pair Embracer with client families
- Support Thanksgiving Food Bag drive (optional)
- Distribute gifts to families (optional for qualified volunteers)
- Sort donations on drop off days
- Translate client thank you cards to send to Embrace donors
- Excellent written and oral communication skill
- Excellent grammar
- Creative writing is preferred
- Must be willing to perform minimal amounts of manual labor (lifting approximately 30 pounds)
- Should be able to lift heavy boxes or bags upon request
- A friendly and positive outlook when engaging with clients, staff members, and donors
- Extremely sensitive to diverse populations that may have experienced trauma
- Able to process trauma sensitive information while being considerate, kind, and understanding
- Preferred major or area of study: English, Foreign Language, Geriatrics, History, International Studies, Journalism, BSW/MSW, Psychology, Women’s Studies, or related fields
- Additional languages a plus: Spanish, French, Arabic, Chaldean, Farsi, Kinyarwanda, Swahili, Karen or Burmese (not required).
- Must be able to provide own transportation to the Turk Family Center
- Complete a volunteer application www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy & DMV check
- Must attend EAF orientation
Time Commitment: Flexible schedule 2-6 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months
Worksite/Department: Jewish Family Service, 8804 Balboa Avenue, San Diego, CA 92123
Immediate Supervisor:Embrace-a-Family Coordinator
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Musical Entertainers Needed!
- Event Planning Internship
- Writers, publishers, editors,...
- Development Administrative...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- St. Paul's Cathedral: Help...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed...
- Give a Ride and a Smile: Older...
- Community Presenter Wanted!...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BigPals: Mentors Needed!
- Nutrition Server: Help Serve...
- Camp Pendleton & Murphy Canyon:...
- Blog & Social Media Internship...
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Home Not Alone: Help an Older...
- Nonprofit Reception Support...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant