AHC is among the largest developers of affordable and mixed-income housing in the Washington-Baltimore metro region. Since 1975, we have worked hard to meet the ongoing need for affordable housing in a highly competitive and very expensive market. Today, the organization has developed or preserved 49 properties providing more than 6,500 affordable, workforce and market-rate apartments.
Our commitment to the communities we serve is deep and ongoing. We take pride in developing quality properties that strengthen neighborhoods.
AHC's Arlington Resident Services program began more than 20 years ago and focuses primarily on comprehensive education programs for elementary through high school students. The program also provides community connections and onsite programs to help adults strengthen their economic stability and build stronger futures for themselves and their families.
AHC's educational programs for students encourage academic excellence and personal growth in a nurturing and stable environment. Because programs are located in the communities where families live, they are a vibrant part of children's lives from elementary through high school. Our multi-pronged approach includes a College & Career Readiness Program for juniors & seniors in high school. The program includes mentoring, college visits, SAT test prep, help with scholarship and financial aid applications, ASVAB test prep for students interested in enlisting in the military, resume building for students interested in entering the workforce, and a variety of enriching experiences. We are currently recruiting volunteers to work with seniors in high school with essay writing and scholarship applications, studying for the ASVAB for military enlistment, assisting a teen with entering the workforce (creating a resume, researching job readiness programs, etc.). The program is flexible which means we're adaptable to volunteer's schedules; workflows for students will ebb and flow meaning they won't need support every week. The frequency will vary based on the teen and their needs.
The following centers are in need of mentors. If interested, please contact Cindy Rozon and indicate the community center where you're interested in volunteering.
1. (1) mentor needed at Berkeley Apartments- 2910 S. Glebe Road, Arlington, VA 22206
2. (2) mentors needed at Fort Henry Apartments- 2470 S. Lowell Street, Arlington, VA 22204
3. (2) mentors needed at Gates of Ballston - (Metro accessible) 4108 4th Street North, Arlington, VA 22203
4. (1) mentor needed at Harvey Hall Apartments- 850 S. Greenbrier St., Arlington, VA 22204
5. (1) mentor needed at Virginia Gardens Apartments- 1710 S. Taylor St., Arlington, VA 22204 (Resident Services office)
6. (2) mentors needed at Woodbury Park / The Frederick - (Metro-Accessible) 2335 North 11th St., Arlington, VA 22201
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- The program is flexible which means we're adaptable to volunteer's schedules; workflows for students